Battery Drain on Fenix 6X Saphire with firmware 12.20

I have battery drain on my new Fenix 6X Saphire which I have had for a couple of weeks.

Within last 18 hours the battery percentage is down 23 % even though the watch was in power save mode for 7 of these hours with just about everything turned off as I do not wear the watch at night anyway.

This is the built in watch face that I currently use:

Garmin - Let me know what you need of info from me like logs and stuff.

I am thinking of downgrading to previous firmware version but I would like to help fixing this to help solve this in the next firmware version.

• Well not quite. I just said that I have battery drain.

But for completeness I removed a Battery App I tried out and battery drain was then back to normal.

• Which battery app ? Can you send pic pls

• For the first time every I hit this battery drain last night.  I ride my bike to/from work each day and I always record that.  I have attached a HRM-RUN and a Tempe, plus my Bluetooth headphones (cheap Chinese ones, but they have good sound quality and are cheap)

Yesterday before riding home my watch was at 96%.

I got home as usual, didn't do anything different, when I checked my watch 3 hours later it was at 50%.  50!  I thought it was a mistake, but I left it a few more minutes and sure enough it dropped to 48%.

I turned it off, and on again, and the drain stopped.

So it would appear to me that something is getting stuck running on the CPU draining all the power.

The DataFields I have installed:

• Dozen Bike
    • Dozen Run
    • Estimated Body Temperature
    • Running Power
    • Walker

The Watchfaces I have installed:

• Classic Sport
    • MagicDust (current default face)
    • SkyTracker - Pro Graphics
    • Titanium

The Widgets I have installed:

• Garmin Hydration Tracking

As I said, I was biking, so the following would have been in use: Dozen Bike, Estimated Body Temperature. Connected was the HRM-RUN, the Tempe and the BT Headphones, and of course my Google Pixel 4XL.

I will also email this same post to Garmin's outdoor team.

• I've tested several immediately after applying an update including:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/4370b941-4874-41f4-82d1-d10924eb4bfa

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/5e49aebc-af75-43f4-9718-03159bd8b6da

As noted, I do not usually have anything from the CIQ store on my watch - no data fields, watch faces, or apps. I'm not saying that add-ons are the cause of the problems but when you analyze the posts about battery usage, they usually occur immediately after a software update and mostly from people with CIQ store add-ons. That suggests the issue might be related to the add-ons not being updated for the new software. It's not surprising then that a downgrade to an earlier software release appears to remove the problem; that is not the same as fixing the problem.

I accept that this might not always be the case, that some people do have problems not related to CIQ add-ons, and that it is not always easy to resolve the problems. However,  my experience suggests that the first thing to do when having problems is to remove anything extra that has been added. If there are multiple add-ons, remove all of them, then add them back one-by-one testing each time to see which (if any) are at fault. And of course contact the developer of the add-on and ask them if they have tested their product with the newest software.

If issues still persist then of course contact Garmin Support and let them know. We all use our watches in different ways with different things added so it's clearly not an easy issue to resolve. Getting annoyed when some of us post to say we don't have the issue is not the way to go as that experience has as much value as those with problems. Faux outrage too does not help anyone. We all know these watches are expensive. We all expect them to work as intended. I still contend that for many of us they do work.

• Downgraded to 11.10, still fancing huge battery drain. about 30%/day in only watch mode.

• i have the same issue after updating to 12.20 with my Fenix 6 pro which just bought in a couple of months. 

• I had unusual high battery drain of about 20% / day without any activities and about 15 - 20%/hour in activities for about 3 month. Several software down- and upgrades, soft- and hardresets etc. didn't solve the problem for me.

The last thing I've tried last Saturday was to reinstall all the sensor software (did this before without any result) and -for the first time- delete and re-install all the maps on my watch.

So far, it seems that my problem is solved: since Saturday my watch looses about 5% of battery life in 24 hours without activities and between 2.5 - 4% of battery life per hour during activities with external HRM and Stryd connected.

In some cases unusual high battery drain may be a problem with defective hardware. But in most cases it's a software problem, I believe.

But finding the bug seems not to be so easy, maybe the watch is much more complicated, than we think.

For me and my watch it seems that reinstalling all maps solved the problem, so maybe it will help for others and they will give it a try.

• I've forgotten to say: I use a Fenix 6X since September 2019.

• Just an observation - I was getting great battery life after removing (sadly) SHN watch face.  After upgrade to 12.20 it worked great.  I then bought a Polar H10 and coincidently, after pairing it drained down to 20% from 90 in 2 days after my first run with it.  I turned off my sensors and just enabled Stryd.  I will run with the Polar again tomorrow or Friday depending on how my knee feels and see if battery drain is high again.

I have absolutely no idea if it is ANT, bluetooth, etc.  I do, however, think there is an issue.

• I've been able to track it at least with my device to ANT+. I have an HRM-Pro and if I don't power cycle my unit post workout, it drains extremely fast. Fresh off a reboot it's fine...until I do another activity with an ANT+ device. I doubt that's the case for all, but it's what I was able to track mine down to.