Fenix 6X sapphire scratched glass on gravel

Hi.

I know that are many threads here regarding this issue but now is time to post my watch problem and cause.

I fell a couple days ago in the woods from the MTB (easy fall) and the watch rubbed against some gravel with dirt.

The result: scratched screen.

I know that a large theory was made that Garmin's sapphire is not as sapphire as we the customers would think and the glass is not made by Garmin and the glass is not scratch proof and other silly stuff for 3 years kids.

These are kindergarten sleeping spells.

Sapphire is sapphire.

Colorless Synthetic Sapphire is used for the screen because it is the second hardest mineral behind Diamond. This is what we the customers should receive not silly fake glass.

It is only scratched by a diamond. This window was scratched by a simple small stone who is breaking if you hit it with asphalt and is not as tough as diamond.

So for a $ 1,000 watch (that's how much I paid when it appeared) this sapphire glass is a mess.

I have a $ 200 Seiko watch (also with sapphire glass) that I scratched off a corner of the stainless steel metal railing and as the sound rang I thought it was cut in half but it doesn't have the slightest trace and this glass in a watch worth a thousand dollars .....to scratch a pebble seems absolutely outrageous.
No matter what theories one might come up with to say I'm wrong, a sapphire crystal is not scratched unless you rub it with a diamond or a diamond hard stone, not with gravel in the woods or on the plains.
This watch is simply a scam.

https://ibb.co/sF51kQB
https://ibb.co/tDp019q

This is a actual picture taken before the crash on that road:

https://ibb.co/ctFbLbk

Top Replies

All Replies

• wahawatches.com/.../

This watch is simply a scam.

You can provide evidence that it's not sapphire, or is this another theory you don't want to hear about or a kindergarten sleeping spell? 

• Be ready to be trolled with ton load of information around how Garmin is not responsible and how sapphire can be scratched etc etc junk... 

I echo your sentiments.. I don’t have a sapphire but a normal glass so my scratch is almost taken for granted however just like you I have used normal casios, times and even seiko and after  almost using them for half a decade never saw any scratch on either the glass or the bezel... 

• Or may be you were cycling in a diamond  mine or all the stones and grit happens to be made of silicon carbide Slight smile
  • Or may be you were cycling in a diamond  mine or all the stones and grit happens to be made of silicon carbide

Or maybe the sapphire isn't scratched and it's the AR coating like the link suggests?  Nah!  It must be a conspiracy and Garmin is scamming everyone.  That makes much more sense. 

• Garmin never said that it can only be scratched by a diamond. They only say that it's more scratch resistant than gorilla glass. And that's absolutely true. If you went into your purchase thinking that it can only ever be scratched by a diamond, then that's your own fault. They said it's nearly as hard as a diamond, and that's true, but you wrongly believed that to mean that only a diamond can scratch it. Now you feel scammed because you can't admit to yourself that maybe you jumped to unreasonable conclusions.

If you hit it with ANYTHING hard enough, it will scratch. If a feather hit it at 30,000 km/h it would probably scratch. If you smack it with a hammer it will probably scratch. Take your wife's engagement ring and smash it into some gravel, I'd bet the diamond gets scratched too.

Go get a gorilla glass version of the watch and go crash on the same gravel road again. Guarantee you the face will be a hell of a lot more scratched.

Your car's paint is almost certainly harder than a paper towel, yet a paper towel will micro-scratch the hell out of it. Funny how science works.

• I have "scratch" on my F6Xsapphire also. I write "scratch" because I think its just the coating that is scratched, not the actual glass. My scratch goes away if I buff the glass with a cloth and make it shine. When I apply some "grease" from my fingers, the scratch appears again. MY F5X sapphire never did this so I think there is a new coating on the F6Xsapphire.

• Corning® Gorilla® Glass DX, which is also used for the Power GlassTm lens, is designed to be scratch-resistant, but it is not as durable as the sapphire crystal lens. The sapphire crystal lens is incredibly durable and is the third hardest mineral, right behind diamond. As a result, the lens is much harder to scratch than glass. Please note that while the sapphire crystal lens can be very difficult to scratch, it is still not scratchproof.

support.garmin.com/.../

wahawatches.com/.../

• Hi.

Science say that:

Colorless Synthetic Sapphire is used for the screen because it is the second hardest mineral behind Diamond.

Garmin advertise the glass as sapphire.

I am wrong if i say say that the advertise of Garmin say that the glass is made by sapphire?

Is true that we are charged with a few hundred dollars more for the sapphire glass and coated DLC?

Say if i am wrong in these statements?

That glass is not sapphire in the real technical means. Is not. Period.

Is like we buy a bar of 24K gold but is not all gold is just coated with gold but sold as solid gold.

Just a scam. I am feeling cheated here.

Didn't Garmin ever say it could only be scratched by a diamond?
    Well, it means that they knew from the beginning that they were not selling what they should, they were just making a false advertisement.

They're just saying it's more scratch resistant than gorilla glass.
    Normal. The magic of fooling customers.

If I went into my purchase thinking it could only be scratched by a diamond, then is this my fault?

No, it's Garmin's fault for selling us a non-compliant product. Remember it's sapphire glass but it's not. The technical rules clearly state how hard the sapphire glass must be.
    This glass does not meet these technical conditions.

It was just a false advertisement from Garmin.

I came to some conclusions believing that Garmin respects what they say in the advertisement not that they sell materials that do not have the praised specifications but only partially. I had normal expectations regarding the technical specifications produced by the manufacturer but I received something else.

I only fell at 10-15 km / h with my hands on the ground and it was not a direct but tangential scratch.

Normally, if the technical specifications are met, the glass must not be scratched. Especially a stone.

I say don't hide behind the tree anymore.
    This watch is not what it was supposed to be.
    I just told you that with a Seiko I applied a force 10 times greater on the glass and it has not the slightest trace.

Garmin is simply a very expensive brand of watches that has a very poor quality of products.
    Not to mention that a USB charging cable is $ 40 when it's actually a simple $ 2 cable sold at an astronomical price.
    Watch straps the same ..... two plastics with a buckle worth $ 3-4 is sold for $ 100.

Garmin simply cheated its customers from my point of view.
    We do not have high expectations but only the expectations that are the basis of the product advertisement prove to be false and the standards are lower than they should be.

• I don’t have a sapphire

But by all means feel free to chime in on a thread dealing with scratches and sapphire displays.

• Why is it that someone can post unsubstantiated accusations and that's OK? When you try to assist them with what you honestly believe is the issue, you have your post deleted?  This forum is a joke. 

• Search the web for “sapphire watch crystal scratch” and you will find dozens of forum posts where people with luxury watches from top name brands posting the same sort of thing and many accuse the watchmaker of a conspiracy.

As others have said, there is a good chance it was a coating that was scratched, but even if it was the sapphire no one claims it to be completely indestructible or unable to be scratched. As others have recommended, take it to a good jeweler and see if they can help. Otherwise, Garmin will often give you a discount on an exchange since the crystal cannot be replaced as easily as with a standard high-end watch. 

Also, regarding the fact that you have other watches that have not scratched in similar situations note that many watches with sapphire crystals only have an AR coating on the inside. This watch appears to have some sort of coating on the outside as well.