What's the DEM Source of the Watch?

Hey there,

does anyone know what's the DEM Source of the Watch?

thx

• Firstly check the DEM maps are installed on your watch

Yes, I have two maps installed (Coverage of europe and topoactive europe) + one 3rd party.

Don't know if somethings wrong with the install or are there some limits where DEM is available. I'm in Finland 

• Coverage of Europe is a golf map. No worldwide DEM Basemap NR and Garmin DEM map EU installed?

• Coverage of Europe is a golf map. No worldwide DEM Basemap NR and Garmin DEM map EU installed?

This is everything Garmin Express is offering:

TopoActive Europe 2020.10 (installed)

Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.9 (installed)     Are you sure this is a golf map?

Garmin Ski Map 2.0 (installed)

Then there these that I have not installed.

Coverage of North and south America 6.30 

Coverage of Pacific 5.4

So am I missing something?

EDIT:

Ah sorry, I just checked my watch and saw the Worldwide DEM maps there. Those were missing before, but I did a map re-install recently so that might have fixed the issue. I'll test it out.

• Coverage of Europe, Middle East & Africa 5.9 (installed)     Are you sure this is a golf map?

I confirm.

• 1) I have a question related to the Worldwide DEM basemap.

It can be found both in the Garmin folder of my Fenix 5 plus and in the activity settings under Map on the watch.

I just bought a Fenix 6X Pro and although I see the file in the Garmin folder, but not in the Map settings.

Is it something that Garmin has changed and now Basemapcan not be disabled on the watch? If it is this way then it means that its DEM data are always available for “during activities auto elevation cal”.

Or just the opposite and it is a bug?

So is somebody who can confirm that running on sw 19.20 I should still see it under activity settings/map OR not?

2  Volker wrote that if there is the Topomap installed then its DEM data overrule those of the basemap.

What if I install, but at the same time disable the Garmin default Topoactive map on my Fenix 6x? I mean in order to use a custom map with either better visibility or equipped with coloured tourist routes and marks.

Even in this case my Fenix uses the DEM data of the Topomap or not?

Thanks for the clarification.

• As far as I now there is a DEM in the basemap. More accurate iis the DEM which is installed with the Topo Active maps. More accurate is the DEM which is available with a purchased Garmin Topo map.

The the priority should be:

1. DEM Garmin Topo map (if installed)

2. DEM Topo avtive map (-"-)

3. DEM Base map (-"-).

I don`t know, how the DEM is used for the new added automatically elevation calibration...

• Actually what you wrote now, you already wrote a year ago.

Although my 2nd question is really not a simple one, the 1st is so simple: do you people still see “Worldwide DEM basemap” on your 6 /s/x Pro watch/activity settings/map in the list of maps after the  installation of the DEM file to the Garmin folder?

• Thx for the confirmation. 

Thus I have to manually delete the DEM file and reinstall it.

Are you on 19.20 or 20.00, by the way?