What's the DEM Source of the Watch?

Hey there,

does anyone know what's the DEM Source of the Watch?

thx

• aaahhh ... DHM = German ... Digitales Höhenmodell ;-)

Post edited to DEM ...

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

hi,

the maps loaded into the watch (includes altitude).

so when calibrating the altitude with DEM, the watch reads GPS coordinates and establishes the position (needs at least 3 strong GPS satellites signal)

now reads the map altitude for that position from the loaded map.

in opposite GPS calibration means watch calculates the altitude too from GPS signals (at least 4 strong GPS signals) 

to me DEM is better when in open field, ground level, on a large flat surface - so a GPS position error doesn't matter. 

if you are on the top of the cliff and use DEM, if the calculated position is the top of the cliff you are good ...but if the calculated position is 5m off and point to the base of the cliff the DEM altitude will be off with the cliff high.

just me,

robert

• What about the non-pro watches that do not have maps? Do they have a DEM-only file?

• Hey there,
    thx for detailed answer ... but I'm still a bit puzzled ...

Next to the Default Maps I also got OSM Map on my 6x Saphire ... those OSM Maps also include DEM Data ...
    In my Activities the OSM Map is active, all other Maps are disabled

What's the DEM Source now?

Some internal DEM Map from Garmin or the OSM DEM?

;-)

• Good question. For Garmin maps with DEM data the order should be:

world basemap with DEM data>DEM map Topo active maps>DEM data for ex. Topo Germany pro v9 ...(as far as I know).

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to gspinoza

hi,

a non-pro watch needs a connection with the phone.....the below bold/italic part is found only in the 6 non-pro manuals 

I suppose a communication session takes place, watch sending position, the phone responds with the altitude.

• To calibrate automatically from your GPS starting point, select Auto Cal., and select an option.
    • To enter the current elevation manually, select Calibrate > Yes.
    • To enter the current elevation from the digital elevation model, select Calibrate > Use DEM.
      • NOTE: Some devices require a phone connection to use DEM for calibration.
    • To enter the current elevation from your GPS starting point, select Calibrate > Use GPS.

just me,

robert

• a non-pro watch needs a connection with the phone....

Well I have a 6 pro and it keeps telling me that it can't find DEM data. When connected to the phone it works just fine. 

• I have a 6 pro and it keeps telling me that it can't find DEM data.

Firstly check the DEM maps are installed on your watch.  Easy to do; just go to an outdoor activity app settings (Run, Hike, MTB, etc.) and select the Configure Maps setting. On a Pro or Solar model (with maps) you should see in the list: “Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR” and the TopoActive DEM for the region installed (for me “Garmin DEM Map EU 2017.20)”. If those DEM Maps are not shown, you might need to reinstall the TopoActive maps using Garmin Express.

• If the DEM.Europe map, which comes with the TopoActive maps Europe isn’t installed, the watch should actually take the (not very accurate) DEM from the installed world base map.