Would you buy a Fenix 6?

Hi folks,

I'm a keen runner and cyclist and considering updating from FR235 to a Fenix 6x Pro.  I'm pretty happy with the Forerunner, but I rather like creating new routes to run cross-country or in a new city and (I think) having the map and a big screen to view it on would be a big bonus over my existing watch, in addition to some of the training options like Pace Pro.

So features I think I'll rely on the most are:

• Accurate GPS and HR when running/cycling
  • Accurate VO2 max, recovery and "body battery" type health metrics
  • All day HR to feed into recovery and health stats

I've been watching this forum for a while, and I see various threads describing issues with the GPS and HR measurements compared to other Garmin watches.  I remember it took a few months of updates to get the FR235 up to the accuracy I enjoy today.  Am I seeing a similar thing playing out here or is something else happening, such as poor QA leading to some bad batches and dud devices, or are there fundamental problems with the case or sensors, such as the new GPS chip?

Are there people out there where everything I've described as important to me works 100% as hoped or would I be better off sticking with my Forerunner for now?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your responses.

David 

• OK. But, my opinion, a "battery" should be loaded by Naps or so. Id dosent ;). I have my first Vacation day and take a 1:15h Nap. It dosent load and i have had no stress as i nap ;)

• I've had my 6X since last september. If it got broken or lost today, I'd happily buy another one to replace it.

• Hexxer.  Re : - i gues sthes Garmin boys havent heard about things on a Smartphone like "Widgets" or so. If you sync your System in the morning and open it in the eveni8ng - you can have take 10.000 steps. It will show you 100 from the morning, because it dosent sync in between.

You can lay a lot of blame on that often to the phone os. The newer ones often make it difficult for background apps to stay active

• So much funktions like haemeglobin who i dont understand.
    The Instict also have correct stats, but no VO2 and a very cheap display.

In my eyes. Garmin sells a lot of cheap hardware for Highend prices. Irreplaceable and worth is that Dashboard/Webfrontend. Its great

What you are paying for is the software ecosystem underlying it. Like polar, it's excellent for getting all that data, which in itself is worthless, and giving you analysis of it. 

• Its a garmin thing. Let's face it. Companys like Amazfit, Samsung, Huawei get that without problem to work. Garmin cant and there device up to >20 times more expensive

-> What you are paying for is the software ecosystem underlying it.

For sure. But that not always a fair deal.

• I've had my 6X Pro Sapphire since launch and aside from a few minor early issues related to swim and strength workouts that were fixed with firmware updates I have no complaints. I upgraded from a Fenix 5X and really like the larger screen with extra data fields and also having Spotify support for music on my runs. Like a few others have said, forums in general tend to highlight problems because the forums are there for people to get help.

• None of them have anywhere near the quality of the infrastructure underneath. I've had anazfits and Samsung and they're terrible. Samsung health is awful

• We have to talk about the same things. These companys get Widgets and near live data from the Watch. Garmin dosent, on the other side push works.

We dont talk about quality of there service. A Amazfit with a 3,50€ App from the store give all tracks and datas to Runkeeper, Strave and, if you like, also to garmin dashboard. The quality of these data are some other talks. But its possible for 50€, and not 400, 500, 900....

• But none give anywhere near the depths of metrics. 

I don't worry about having to sync my watch, that's a given. But if I'm doing training for a 50 miler I want all the metrics. Running dynamics etc so I can see whether I can do it. They're great for geberal fitness but the Garmin infrastructure, like Polars and Suunto offer so much more

• That infrastructure is an integral part of the Garmin experience. If that's not important to you then yes get a Samsung or whatever. But we're now comparing apples to oranges