Stress Measurement Issues After Activity - Please Post Here

This seems to have been an issue with most builds of the watch. I have emailed Garmin about it multiple times.

How many others Are experiencing the same thing?

After recording a run my watch (Fenix 6 pro) stops reading stress completely for about 1-2 hours. When it comes back on it is then intermittent for another 2-3 hours. 

It feels like this should be an easy fix!

• On the bike there is a garmin mount for the watch. During ride I use the chest strap. After the ride the OHR measures well and accurate, no berak in hr graph. Only the stress level widget says chech watch fit and measures nothing as for the others.

At this moment I realized that the watch measured a dummy high HR for some reason one hour before (170-180 without starting an activity, i chcked hr manually and it was about 100) and there is still no stress measurement. I'm interested when will the stress return so I dont restart,just waiting and checking. The other parts are working fine, but this stupid stress makes the whole experience with garmin watch as a trash.

• I’ve been testing the 10.10 fw update to see if the situation with stress has improved.

After a few activities it does seem to be better. Prior to this there was a couple of hours of no readings and up to 3 hours of very intermittent readings.

Now it seems to be nothing for 40-50 minutes and then it is locked in as it should be.

Has anyone else seen this improvement where they were having same issue as me before?

• Today was my first day with energetic activity since installing 10.10. There is still a distinct gap, but now it seems to be in the order of 12-15 minutes rather than ten times that.

Here is data from today. First a Hike activity, which was actually walking the dog and throwing in 3 x 200m strides. This afternoon 5k on the treadmill with another km walking cool down, a brief rest before my shower and then some gaming on my tablet. Each stress gap is at most 15 minutes. Maybe there should not be a gap after the shower, but I will be generous. A sample set of one day is not much to go on.

• There does seem to be an improvement, although I am still getting between 40-60 minutes gap. What is interesting (and I have fed this back to beta team) is that respiration rate works fine right the way through thee gaps. Since respiration rate uses HRV also it doesn’t seem to be that the watch can’t read this. Makes me think it’s more a software issue with stress which would also make sense with the hard reset sorting the stress out.

• Another day, another repeat of a gap following an effort (95 minutes indoor bike) and no gap following low intensity activity (30 minute dog walk). Today's gap is 40 minutes.

• Bad news I’m afraid. Did a strenuous 15km today in the heat. After there was the usual gap but since it getting a solid reading it has then been very intermittent with a half hour gap and now an even longer gap. I have been sat down resting the whole time, I have fully cooled down, no wrist swelling etc. Respiration has had solid readings ever since getting back. I’ve emailed the beta team.

• A few hours on and I also have a lot of stress gaps, while heart rate is continuous.

• So the Beta team have provided an answer on this one. Essentially the watch can not get an accurate reading when your body is in EPOC (excess post exercise oxygen consumption) - essentially recovering from the exercise). This is the same reason that it can’t read stress during the exercise.

This makes sense but I have now updated the request to ask them to investigate why the body battery flattens during this time. I expect in reality the body battery should continue to decline so would be good if an update can allow the watch to reflect this, maybe based on elevated heart rate after exercise until stress has been picked up again.

They have also confirmed that the fix that came with the 10.10 fixed a separate issue with stress where there were blank readings during other times and not this topic which is an expected behaviour of the watch.

The above also explains why it is worse with more strenuous exercise. I expect it also explains why not everyone sees the issue as you have to carry out very intense exercise to see the problem.

• Does make sense. Though one guess about BB flattening would be that rather than ascribe an arbitrary decline, wait till measurements can be made to refine the actual BB value?

• And yeah, checking my last two ultras I see a larger gap!  Great catch Nigel tho I suspect it’s now another way my watch calls me a lazy begger lol