Garmin acquires Firstbeat Analytics

Official Garmin news release today.

https://newsroom.garmin.com/newsroom/press-release-details/2020/Garmin-acquires-Firstbeat-Analytics-a-leading-provider-of-physiological-analytics-for-health-fitness-and-performance/default.aspx

Guess there won't be anymore licensing hurdles with adding new FirstBeat features to our watches!

• Firstbeat was the Goldstandard in Analysis. As example Sleep. Garmins Sleep anaylsis is like caling a sibirian blind and deaf mamuschka and ask who you are sleepd. They will be better as Garmins analysis from the last 2-3 years.

BUT.....its they will close the market für Huawei and so on. Amazfit, Huawei, Xiamo and so on make better analysis as they do at garmin. Now you get a "fenix 7" with better Plugins für 950€ and not fpr 800.

• I'm excited about this - because it not only means that Garmin can use ALL of FirstBeats analytics from now on, it also means they can add previously-unused FB analytics to existing devices without it being cost-prohibitive anymore.

This is probably how they added the FB Sleep analytics to the Fenix in the last few weeks - because they were already in the process of buying FirstBeat. Otherwise, it probably would have been too expensive to add it to an existing product.

• small correction "deaf BaBushka" %)

• because it not only means that Garmin can use ALL of FirstBeats analytics from now on, it also means they can add previously-unused FB analytics to existing devices without it being cost-prohibitive anymore.

They can, but the question I'm wondering about is will they?  Garmin has always use product differentiation for sales with features that weren't licensed from 3rd parties in the past.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think Garmin will do the same with the FirstBeat metrics.

• Fenix already has, I believe, every FirstBeat anaytics component available... but now lower products might add some that were missing (like perhaps Instinct will finally get VO2 Max, but maybe not due to product differentiation as you mentioned), and Fenix is all but assured to get any and all new analytics that come out in the future.

• Fenix is all but assured to get any and all new analytics that come out in the future.

I agree, along with the MARQ line up.  I just don't see Garmin giving everything to the Instinct or FR245 for example.  People will pay extra if they really want a specific feature and Garmin marketing is aware of this.  It would be great, but I don't think it will happen.

• Never ever.
    Fenix 7 - 5 FB Features: 649€
    Fenis 7 Pro: 9 FB Features: 799
    Fenix 7 Pro Sapphire Solar Titanium: 18 FB Features 1100€

Entry level like Venu2? 5 Features for 399

Ther will be no analysis for the older devices.

• Ther will be no analysis for the older devices.

We don't know this.  The link C.sco provided shows 26 features.  It's possible Garmin felt there was no need for some of them, or the cost to Garmin was too high in the past.  Now that Garmin has acquired FirstBeat, they may discontinue some metrics and I'm sure they'll add new features in the future.  I'm only speculating, but I think some of the features will filter down to older devices, I just don't think all the devices capable of all the metrics will get everything.  It's all a guessing game right now.

• Great news, but i wonder if they can properly implement all functions. 

• Ther will be no analysis for the older devices.

So they'll be removing all of the analytics from the older devices that already have them?

Or do you just mean that they won't be adding any new analytics to older devices? I think they'll continue adding new anaytics to the existing current lineup, but I would agree that once the next Fenix model comes out, the current F6 probably won't get much (if anything) new. But until then, I think they'll keep adding stuff to the F6, like the FB Sleep Analytics they just added to it a couple weeks ago.