Custom breathwork exercise

I tried to submit this as a suggestion, but the form just won't work. Figured someone might know how I can do this or Garmin might pick up the suggestion here.

I have a Fenix 6s. One of the best things with the new watch was the breathwork exercise. What a great idea. I use it often, but I'd like to be able to make a custom breathwork exercise that can be loaded to the watch. Example would be that I do a meditation daily that involves deep 6 breaths/min for 5 minutes. Then a breath hold for 2 minutes. Then 2 pushes of the CSF up to the head, which lasts 2 minutes. Then repeated twice more. For now, I just set the timer for 5 minutes and then reset it. But having to look at my watch and think about time in the middle of a meditation kind of negates the point and there is no breath cues, so I'm kind of winging it with my deep breathing. It would be great if I could just program this mediation with the same vibrations of the breathwork. Additionally, or instead, it would be nice if you could modify the existing exercises to lengthen or shorten the breaths and or the exercise time.

If anyone has an idea how I could do this, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

• I looked for Relax HR. No luck. Is it compatible with Fenix?

• I’m going to bump this up again. It’s been two year, come on Garmin! Breath work has become incredibly popular in the fitness word, and custom workouts is a must! 

• Hi,

I just released a Wim Hof Method breathing app:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a4f7e008-af89-4cdb-8368-f0df16e48ebb

Breath work has become incredibly popular in the fitness word, and custom workouts is a must! 

I can also create a custom breathing workout app, I just need to know the specs to customize. Please contact me if you would like to help me with that. Thanks!

• That is wonderful! Thank you. There are a couple things that would be great to be able to customize, which is why Garmin should have made a custom option. Grrrr.

It would be very nice if one could change the length of each part at will and be able to make a workout that was any length. First, just being able to have say, 10 seconds breath in, 30 seconds hold, 30 seconds breath out, 45 seconds hold....kind of thing, where you could change the time for each, have haptic feedback between, and then also be able to change the pattern within the same workout, length breaths or holds, or change teh pattern. I also personally add a spinal fluid push, or blessing of the chakras, or wherever your beliefs fall (squeezing from the toes up to the head) after my breath holds and before each round of belly breathing. So, it would be really nice to be able to add "rest" or "contraction" or an extra phase. 

Then, it might be nice to have Hof method that allows you to customize the hold time (I haven't used your app, yet, so forgive me if this is already there) or even just beginner to advanced different methods, kind of thing. It's not that easy to start right off holding for 3 minutes.

I hope this makes sense. I am looking very forward to trying your app!

• Then, it might be nice to have Hof method that allows you to customize the hold time (I haven't used your app, yet, so forgive me if this is already there) or even just beginner to advanced different methods, kind of thing. It's not that easy to start right off holding for 3 minutes.

WHM method doesn't specify holding period - you hold as long as you can and press a button to end it. Same with all other stages - the app doesn't controll timing, it just shows and records. There is also a pause between rounds, so you can do some extra activities (like you described).

For the flexible breathing app I could do the same option - make it run until you stop it manually.

It would be very nice if one could change the length of each part at will and be able to make a workout that was any length.

That part is clear and easy to do.

and then also be able to change the pattern within the same workout, length breaths or holds, or change teh pattern.

That part is not completelly clear. Do you want to switch pattern manually during the excersise? Or should it be timed?

So, it would be really nice to be able to add "rest" or "contraction" or an extra phase. 

Where it should be added, at the start and the end?

Thanks

• Hey! I'm sorry, my watch just bit the dust and I have to wait for a new one. So, I haven't had a chance to play with your app yet.

I personally do several different kinds of breathwork. To do a long Hof style series, I just made a yoga workout with 5 min belly breath, 3 min hold, and 2 min rolling the csf; then repeat for 45 total min. I do my breathwork as a meditation, so I need to not look at or pay much attention to my watch other than to cue me to move to the next stage. I personally like having timed holds because I know if I'm setting my time and thinking about it, I can only manage about 30 seconds, thinking it's 3 minutes! Haha. But, if I can just be still and wait for the timer, I can hold for longer than 3. But, that's just me. I know it's a preference.

So, as for the other types of breathwork: Garmin has these breathwork workouts that are like deep breathing and box breathing etc. The problem is that they are very short. So short as to seem to only be good for someone who has a lot of trouble. Like, with the box breathing, they start with 3 sec breathe in, 3 sec hold, 3 sec out, 3 sec hold....on and on and it gets longer, eventually 5 sec. That is so quick it's hard to keep up. Why being able to customize this would be so nice is then you could actually set a time that is appropriate (for me, more than 10 in and more than 20 sec out, as example) and you could customize to some exercises suggested...like having a short inhale, only one hold, and long exhale, or maybe very slowed in/out, or something that changes, getting longer or different. Being able to build a workout just like legos would be great; you have four basic blocks, inhale, exhale, hold, and rest, and you can move them around and set the time for each to build it however you want. Perhaps with some defined workouts, too. I know many people don't like making it themselves.

So, I hope that makes sense. And, I hope others might chime in because there may be very different ideas about what would make a good app. Thanks!

• Thanks. I'm busy with other projects at the moment, but I'll get back to it when I have more time. I'll keep you posted.

• +1 on this. I would love to be able to add custom Breathwork activities to the Venue 2s and have the watch signal the intervals via vibration, rather than have to use a separate app to signal the intervals and then record it on the watch as a yoga activity.