Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire Map themes

There are a few map themes in the Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire. 

Which map themes do you use and why:

- Maritim

- High contrast

- Dark

- Popular

- Resort Ski

• Can't remember where I downloaded this TK map from.. Beautiful contrasting colours again .. I'll try to find out an post the link here if anyone wants it. 

• Today, I downloaded and tested Userbeam maps with contour lines of Opentopomap. That's definitely beautiful.

However, forests are green and that decreases the details of roads and contour lines. I can live with it but I think I'll continue to prefer Opentopomap.org maps. There are different details than Userbeam maps and I like them. Maybe I'll use both in different activities.

• Hi Sam, how you paired two different maps together? Basecamp or straightly inside the watches? And could you give links on these topo layers and details? Liked your combo so much)

• I use a custom theme that I created myself. I cloned the High Contrast theme and made it even more high contrast by modifying appearance of trails and forest roads.

The reason I use that is to make it easier to glance at maps while trail running. I wish Garmin could render map elements with bolder lines to make the map easier to read but that doesn't seem to be possible with the theme customization. 

• I don't use any, because they only take away information from the map

More information on the map isn't always better. Personally I only need to see roads, trails, creeks, lakes, summits, and mountain passes. The rest is just a visual clutter that makes it harder to glance at a map during a high paced activity. I don't normally stop to look at the map. I would appreciate a few details but at very high contrast - just enough to navigate when trail running. 

• I agree, as you say, we all use the maps in different ways, I use it for slow hikes up my local mountains usually,so more detail is better for me... but when I'm say using "automotive" routing (paired with a suitable map, say high contrast Frikart )...or biking... I need only very basic information, as the screen will struggle to cope scrolling, and I don't need all the clutter,i only need to see at a glance where I need to go... I use different maps for different activities.. I have about seven copied hike activities with different maps for each, depending on the area I'm going to be at...its great Garmin has allowed our watches to be so versatile as the maps are the most important feature for me,as we all know, no other company has this level of mapping capability on a watch. : -) 

• Hi...

I just drag them from the desktop, straight into the Garmin folder usually after renaming them.(they then load through the watch to basecamp) 

I don't pair maps as such, I pair a map with other layers such as trails and contours for free hiking and courses... If I try to use these combos with the routing function of the watch... it will not work properly... So there are limitations using some layers.

I'll have to get back to you about links and combos.... All the best : -)