Ski app - wrong elevation and number of laps. v5.0 and 6.0

Any one having this issue at the beginning I calibrate altimeter and barometer via gps, both show on the top of the hill 570+ elev. m. 

I start ski app, it records rounds correctly (4-5 rounds) 

Each round starts at  570 - ends around 400m  , lenght of the slope 500m (yes it is a small hill :-))). 

Then suddenly a fast drop in pressure, and after that things go south :-((((, elevation keeps declining with every other round, round recording seem not to be correct too. 

it is the same slope, so it should look the same as first 4 spikes. 

Any ideas? 

thx 

Tomas

• Actually- that's indicative of a sharp rise in pressure- although, that's quite a bit that fast.  Check your local weather to see if the barometer shot up during that time.  However- I've also had this problem with the ski app and have reported it.  I have my watch set to auto calibrate elevation during activity.. but it doesn't seem to do this during a ski activity.  Lotsa' elevation drift over a day.

• Happened same thing today during ski.

• on the bright side- the ski app doesn't crash anymore.  I'm going skiing this week- so, we'll see how it goes.  But- whenever I see it more than about 100m off, I do a recalibrate

• Yeah, had freezing before 5.0 in the Alps.

After 5.0 , freezing is gone, skiing in high altitudes in Alps with 5.0 version looked fine. 

I am experiencing this crazy behavior only on local slope with low altitude. (same for 5.0 and 6.0 firmware version). Same issue was also on a fenix 5 plus friends of mine.(same slope, same time). 

Will try the new 6.0 version in the Alps in couple of days. Let's see. 

It is really annoying, one cannot rely on the watch. 

• this elevation loss happened on the same slope within 2hours :-))

• just skied two days in Colorado.  Base around 3000m, peaks around 3800m.  30 runs today- all looks pretty good.  some altitude drift, but that's normal with a barometric sensor.  I did recalibrate once when I saw it more than 100m off, but so far so good.  I've got 3 more days of skiing ahead- if the sensor goes wacky I'll let you know. 

My Fenix 3HR regularly went really wacky when skiing.  It would be fine for normal runs, even mountainous trail runs- but when skiing it would often jump to 65,000 feet.  

• eh.  after two days of giving me fairly stable altitude, it drifted quite a bit today.  300m in an hour, and then a bit more slowly afterwards.  I recalibrated a couple times.  

I presume that you've sent and email to the garmin address for bugs on this?  you seem to have good data to give them.  

• another day of skiing, another day of altitude drift.  about a 500m loss over 6 hours.  

• 1.  there is an auto calibration setting, which is supposed to use GPS altitude to correct for normal barometric altitude errors/drift.  Settings>Sensors&Accessories>Altimeter>AutoCal>During Activity> Continuous, At Start, or Off.

2. Here's a plot from yesterday's skiing at a local area.  I took the same lift up to the top (a bit over 9,000 ft) 28 times.  

3.  Based on the performance I've been getting, it's pretty clear that AutoCal doesn't work during a ski activity.  Oh- the barometric pressure yesterday actually dropped slightly during the activity, so- all other things being equal, the altitude should have drifted higher, not lower.

4.  I have reported this to Garmin

• I can verify the behavior. Did some skiing today and yesterday and the altitude drops during the activity. I don't have continuous calibration during the activity, only at start.