Speed & Cadence ANT+ on Concept2 Rower PM5

I recently updated my PM5 Firmware on my Rower and can now go deeper to see additional ANT+ sensors for Speed and Cadence (FE-C). I know that the ErgIQ app can leverage these, but I am wondering if I could just connect these sensors directly to the Garmin Indoor Rowing app. When I start the Indoor Rowing activity, I see icons pop up for speed and cadence meaning that the watch is searching for them, but I'm able to find these sensors on my watch when searching for the new connection. Anyone have any idea Why?

What is weird, is that I CAN connect to speed and cadence ANT+ sensors natively from Indoor Cycling activity on my C2 BikeErg. 

• I would like to know this as well. Seems like the Rower and (I guess also SkiErg) is not sending ANT+ SPD/CAD data properly and I guess also not PWR (using ANT+). If it would, it would solve a lot of issues and one could start using the native activities instead of ErgIQ, which is not ideal!!

Did you try to use the "Bike indoor" activity to connect to the rower?

I only have SkiErg and rower and I'm considering buying the BikeErg. Can I ask you .. as it is now, your Garmin Fenix6 can see the BikeErg as PWR sensor as well as CAD/SPD sensor at the same time? Do you get VO2 max estimations from your BikeErg workouts? Is there any difference in usage from using bike trainers such as Tacx smart trainer?

Thank you!

Best,

Marek

• Garmin could support this. The ErgIQ Connect IQ app, and Concept2's "ErgData" smartphone app are evidence of this. The C2 has an extremely accurate power-meter and the PM5 parses the data to display speed, wattage, drag, distance etc.

In the meantime, the most accurate data will come from logging with ErgData and syncing to Garmin Connect.

Run a parallel log with the watch itself to get Training Effect and Training Load data, then delete the duplicate entry (since ErgData will push one) and your training status will remain.

If you want to see Garmin support Concept2 direct connectivity, send them a suggestion here: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

• Thank you. I know this is also a problem on Garmin's side ... But ... If the PM5 would simply broadcast PWR, CAD+SPD in ANT+ format then the PM5 could be paired as sensor and all would be exactly as with other smart trainers. I don't see a reason why this is not possible. Seems like PM5 can communicate using ANT.

So you are saying that even the BikeErg is not acting as Power and Speed+Cadence sensor? Well ... Then I will not buy it. Simple as that ... Even though I know Garmin could provide better support. But Concept2 could do at least this.

If BikeErg can do PWR, CAD+SPD ... Then why not do the same also with the rower and SkiErg. It would solve all the problems and issues that ErgIQ has and we wouldn't have to delete duplicate entries when using ErgData.

Best,

Marek 

• I Am able to connect to both PWR and SPD+CAD simultaneously on my Bike Erg. It's got all the same functionality as a trainer, and works wonderfully with the Indoor Bike watch activity. 

• I Am able to connect to both PWR and SPD+CAD simultaneously on my Bike Erg. It's got all the same functionality as a trainer, and works wonderfully with the Indoor Bike watch activity. 

I ride my BikeErg almost every day and I have never had any PWR data, ever - thus no VO2Max data, either.  Here's all I get:

What magic do I have to perform to get the PWR data you get?

I use the Bike Indoor Activity and connect with the SPD/CAD ANT+ output on the PM5.

TIA

• The way to do this is to use the ANT+ for PWR. The BikeErg broadcasts the PM5 as a SPD+CAD sensor via Bluetooth but the readings are WAY off. I was told to adjust the wheel size to 2000mm but that doesn't help. 

• The way to do this is to use the ANT+ protocol for PWR. The BikeErg broadcasts the PM5 as a SPD+CAD sensor via Bluetooth but the readings are WAY off. I was told to adjust the wheel size to 2000mm but that doesn't help. I've contacted Concept2 support and apparently, they are going to work with TrainerRoad (the bike training plan I use) to address this.

• That's not necessary. There is a better way (connect to a different sensor) and then speed and cadence is accurate by default. Here's why I do when i connect to my Bike Erg...

1. Open Indoor Bike Activity

2. Connect my External HRM through ANT+ in the Connect --> Heart Rate Monitor menu

3. Connect my Fenix 6 to the ANT+ PWR sensor on PM5 through Connect --> ANT+ --> FE-PWR

4. Connect my Fenix 6 to the ANT+ SPD+CAD sensor on PM5 through Connect --> ANT+ --> FE-SPD+CAD

*Note: do not connect to the FE-C ANT+ sensor like you would for Erg IQ app. You won't use this one. 

Oftentimes, my Fenix 6 doesn't want to connect to both PWR and SPD+CAD at the same time, but if I give it a minute or two, it eventually sorts itself out, and will stay connected to both ANT PM5 sensors. 

I also usually also connect my Erg Data app on my smartphone so I have a record of all my C2 Erg workouts there, and for syncing into Strava, but this step is personal preference. 

Hope this helps.

• Does that mean you get estimates of VO2max?

Thanks for your help!

It would be great if this was possible also on the rower or skierg. I don't see these options on those machines. One would not have to use ErgIQ app that cannot record all data natively. I hope Concept2 will realize this and include this option in the next PM5 update.

• That's not necessary. There is a better way (connect to a different sensor) and then speed and cadence is accurate by default. Here's why I do when i connect to my Bike Erg...

1. Open Indoor Bike Activity

2. Connect my External HRM through ANT+ in the Connect --> Heart Rate Monitor menu

3. Connect my Fenix 6 to the ANT+ PWR sensor on PM5 through Connect --> ANT+ --> FE-PWR

4. Connect my Fenix 6 to the ANT+ SPD+CAD sensor on PM5 through Connect --> ANT+ --> FE-SPD+CAD

*Note: do not connect to the FE-C ANT+ sensor like you would for Erg IQ app. You won't use this one. 

Oftentimes, my Fenix 6 doesn't want to connect to both PWR and SPD+CAD at the same time, but if I give it a minute or two, it eventually sorts itself out, and will stay connected to both ANT PM5 sensors. 

I also usually also connect my Erg Data app on my smartphone so I have a record of all my C2 Erg workouts there, and for syncing into Strava, but this step is personal preference. 

Hope this helps.

It works!  It took many tries to get both PWR and SPD/CAD to remain connected simultaneously, but eventually they did.  I did one short 15 minute ride on the BikeErg and, lo and behold, PWR data (along with everything else) was displayed:

And a new page of data:

Also, it was nice to see my VO2 Max to budge for the first time in months:

Looks like I'm stuck with the Running Man icon at the top, but it was done with Bike Indoor Activity.

Thank you, @Nils, very helpful info.  I am very happy with this solution.

HTH