Fenix 6 Series - 5.72 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

5.72 Change Log Notes:

• Added support for Swim2 features namely, Auto Rest, Swim Time data field, Swim workout improvements, Pacing Alerts, Swim Dead Reckoning for OWS and Critical Swim Speed.
  • Added support for Action Menu with the Expedition App. This should provide a more consistent and discoverable way to access more functions (actions) using the 'Start' key.
  • Improved compass performance.
  • Removed the "Edit" screen from the timer loop temporarily.
  • Fixed an issue where the device could register a speed spike during Ski activities.
  • Fixed an issue where the device may become unresponsive when trying to navigate certain types of PacePro enabled courses.
  • Fixed an issue where the device will crash when trying to manually connect to an ANT sensor after enabling Airplane mode.
  • Fixed an issue where one would see a Wifi error message when launching the Golf activity.
  • Fixed an issue with golf maps drawing incorrectly after the last beta update.
  • Fixed an issue where the map would intermittently stop updating during an activity.
  • Brought in improvements for CIQ.
  • Brought in improvements and bug fixes for music.

We have temporarily removed in-activity data field editing in this beta. We have identified a few bugs and while they are difficult to reproduce, we do not want our customers to experience these issues. When these bugs are resolved, this feature will be added back in to software.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 2.60
Sensor Hub: 3.10
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• HR HR HR problem first please, waht are you doing Garmin??????  I dont think that they are workinh on HR problem, maybe tjey think that there is no problem. 

• Unfortunately I have just tested my fenix 6 pro tonight vs fenix 5 plus chest strap on my other wrist. Slow jogging outside of activity averages 30 bpm less on the fenix 6. Using activity the fenix 6 averages 20/30 beats HIGHER than the fenix 5! I'm actually really upset. I couldn't really afford this watch but motivation for my fitness regime made me splurge out. I'm bitterly disappointed. 

• Outside of activity I'd expect wrist-based heart rate to be average at best and sloppy at worst. 

The heart rate sensor runs in a low power mode when you're not in an activity. None of the features that draw more power (brighter LEDs, more computing resources) are available*. Running and cycling are also about the most challenging things you can do with an optical HR sensor, doubly so now that it's cold**. 

If you want accurate readings while exercising, you almost certainly need to start an activity on the watch.

It's not ideal, but rants generally don't get things fixed quicker. 

* I suppose you could monitor movement and kick the heart rate sensor into continuous mode if it's vigorous enough. Don't know if Garmin do this. 

** All wrist-based optical heart rate monitors have inaccuracies. They're also rarely cleaned and have to work in miserable conditions. 

• I have Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire and Titanium Edition watch. I get a lot of alerts and I do not like the vibration on my wrist. I had the Tone and Vibrations turned off and it was working fine. Some days ago, watch got auto updated to Software Version 5.0 one night and now I am NOT able to DISABLE the VIBRATION for any kind of alerts. I have tried every method of turning off the vibration, both from phone and from watch but no positive results. This is the setting that I used before and it it was working fine, (i.e. I did not get the vibration before software update) System->Sounds->Vibration->Off. The only way I am able to disable the both vibration and Tone, When I enable Do Not Disturb mode. But with Do Not Disturb Mode there is no Light as well, when I get the alert. 
    This is really really annoying for me and I am really upset about it. This is a very expensive watch and I didn't even have the budget for it but I'd still bought it and now I am seeing that even this basic functionality is not working.
  • Outside of activity I'd expect wrist-based heart rate to be average at best and sloppy at worst. 

This is not so with my AW4's.  They do VERY well running, almost on par with my Polar and Scosche.  I know the Fenix can do well, because it did in the release firmware in September.  They've since made is much worse.

• GARMIN, when the hell will You FIX that. All metrics ar based on that. ALL!

I can hear the people chanting in agreement.  YES.  Yet not a peep.  I'm actually getting pretty ticked off.

• I agree. I don't want to have to start an activity every time I go upstairs to the bathroom. If I run up them, I want my watch to show that my heart rate is 120, not top out at 80. People need to remember that the SOLE purpose of this watch is to monitor heart rate. If it's a toy then charge £10 and call it a toy. 

• They said some time ago that they are working on a fix for the HR problems and I don't expect them to say it 10 times more after that. Yes, it is frustrating that it's been more than a month from the time they said it, but if they don't have a fix yet, what more can they say to us. I only hope that someone is still working to fix the HR problem and not to adding emojis and other "cool" features.

The real problem for me is that the HR is bad even when I use a chest strap (Polar H10). The chest strap works just fine connected to my Galaxy S9 and Polar Flow app, but with the Fenix 6x Sapphire it is really bad, it doesn't matter if I connect it thru ANT+ or Bluetooth. 1 in 4 strength trainings looks ok (just OK), but 3 of then are really bad, lots and lots of drops in HR, from 160 bpm to 80 bpm in a matter of seconds (5 sec maximum).

After a really bad experience with the 5x Plus, I was really happy to see that my new 6x Sapphire works as it should, no more problems with ABC or the flickering screen, but after the first update, things started to go downhill. To bad, hope they will fix all the problems by the time the next Fenix generation comes out. Fingers crossed!