Fenix 6 Series - 4.63 Beta Release

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
Fenix 6s Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
Fenix 6 Pro: 
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

4.63 Change Log Notes:

• Fixed an issue where the stress score could intermittently get stuck at 25.
  • Fixed an issue where the device will crash when trying to manually connect to an ANT sensor after enabling Airplane mode.
  • Fixed an issue where one would see a Wifi error message when launching the Golf activity. (Pro models only)
  • Fixed an issue with golf maps drawing incorrectly after the last beta update. (Pro models only)
  • Improved Indoor Bike OHR performance
  • Brought in improvements for CIQ.
  • Brought in improvements and bug fixes for music. (Pro models only)

Current beta peripheral software version numbers:

GPS: 2.60
Sensor Hub: 3.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 4.30
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 2.10
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not suitable for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line.

• On the 6.63 link

Ah, my error (which I have now corrected), that should have read 4.63.

Both links are to F6X Pro Solar activities...

Erm, this is the Fenix 6 forum......? Laughing (when you mention 6.63, I thought wires had got crossed with the MARQ's equivalent 5.63 beta)

• So what GPS settings was it on the 6.63 link ? ;-) 

• On the 6.63 link, what GPS setting is that?

So on both links I have GPS+Galileo set in the Run app and Data Recording is set to Every Second.

(As an aside, the 4.62 link was for an activity recorded whilst away on a work trip.  I started in the centre of York city near some tall buildings and only gave the watch the minimum time to get a green GPS lock before starting; the watch not having been used for GPS in that locale before. The resulting track is pretty awesome all things considered, even the little squiggle is actually correctly recording going up a loop of steps at the side of the road bridge, before crossing the river.)

• Bug report: I have the "Battery Up Down" Connect IQ datafield which writes battery usage data into the fit file. Today during trail running, I noticed that this connect iq field was replaced by Timer. That means that somehow crashed and deactivated. While.i was running, I entered into trail running settings to put it back on my data screen and when I tried...the watch crashed. It rebooted and thankfully the activity didn't disappeared but it was paused and I was able to continue my recording. So there is a bug related to the connect IQ data fields or it is related to this specific data field.

• Found my first bug - not sure if it was introduced with 4.62 or 4.63, as I installed both updates within 12 hours of each other and never really got a chance to try 4.62.

During a Walk activity today, my map screen wasn't updating. The watch was not frozen, I could freely move between the map screen and the other datscreens, but when I left it on the map page, it would not update at all.

The track was recording accurately, however, and whenever I scrolled to a different datascreen and back to the map, the map would refresh and show the accurate track up to that point, but then not update anymore after that until scrolling away from it and back to it again.

Prior to 3.62, my map datascreen updated in real-time just fine.

• Aside from the bug I just mentioned, the watch is incredibly stable right now, and my GPS track on my 4 mile walk through town today was amazing. If it didn't start/end at my front door, I'd share it so you guys could see, but during the whole walk I'd say the accuracy was about +/- 1m. It showed me right on the sidewalk or at worst, a foot or 2 off the sidewalk, always on the correct side of the road, the entire duration of the walk. Easily the best track I've ever recorded on this or any other GPS device. Watch distance measured within 0.05mi of what Google maps shows, and the distances for out and back were identical.

So I have no idea if this is the result of the latest beta updates or not, but whatever happened, my GPS tracks are incredibly accurate right now, I'm very happy.

As a funny side note, my girlfriend sent me a text during my walk that consisted of nothing but emojis, and I didn't have to dig out my phone to see what they were Laughing

• If I'm in a Map and trying the "around me" function it gets stuck on "loading maps" and basically I have to reboot the watch to get maps working at all after this.

• "loading maps" takes about 1 minute on my watch [6X Pro Solar] but works otherwise fine

• Great to hear, what GPS do you use?

• I don't think that's specific to this beta firmware.

I had the same issue 2 weeks ago with a different CIQ datafield that writes to the FIT file (Steps to Fit). The same steps caused the same result, except I was not able to restart the activity. I ended up having to do a fadctory reset on my watch at the trailhead right before my hike, because I couldn't get any activities to load anymore without crashing the watch.

I also had major similar issues with another CIQ datafield a week before that. Since then, I vowed to never download another CIQ datafield again. None of them are useful enough to sacrifice having a usable/stable watch.

I don't know if it's the datafields that are screwing up the watch, or if it's the watch screwing up the datafields... really don't care who's to blame, I'm just not going to use them anymore.