This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Vibration Stops Working

One of the people i know with the Fenix 6x Saphhire had the vibration motor issue happen a few weeks ago and mine has now went out over the last 2 days.  I use it as my daily wake up alarm so when it changed it was pretty apparent.  Noticed it was pretty 'rattley' yesterday, today there's something obviously mechanically wrong with it in that the motor has to no longer be solidly attached to anything.  Everyone who's heard it agrees, something's come loose inside.  Because of that the vibration is going to be transferred to the power/signal cabling attached to the motor and that has a highly likelihood to cause it to fail at some point down the road. 

Note the watch has never been dropped, I rarely take it off other than to charge it, never hit anything, haven't used it to drive nails into oak or anything like that,  the case and glass are pristine. 

The first one the other runner had was replaced by Amazon without questions.   I'm sorry to say REI seemed reluctant at first to want to deal with it, potentially in their defense none of their people have heard of the issue before.  "Can you have a jeweler open it up and take a look?"  When I politely balked at that option for a watch that's less than 2 months old and provided them with links to 3 different threads on here about it as well as a youtube video where you can listen they did acknowledge that this falls under the returns policy but with a caveat their return department will examine the watch and decided to either replace, refund or send it back to me.   She couldn't speak to which option would be chosen. 

A little disappointing given how much I've spent with them over the years.   Because I expect it'll take a minimum of 2 weeks back and forth to get a replacement mailing it to the home office I'm going to delay and try to exchange it at the new store that opens next week that's not too far off from me. 

Because I have access to multiple samples in person it's pretty obvious the difference between them in sound, vibration and roughness.   It's also a little concerning that of an admittedly small sample set of 3 watches, 2 of them failed within the first 2 months with the vibration motors coming loose.  Either a 66% failure rate or RNGesus has it out for our little circle. 

I was unable to find any tear downs of the Fenix 6 family to try and see just how the motor might be mounted (screwed or glued) and just how fixable this might be.  If it wasn't for the inability to get a new gasket I'd likely try to open the case and see myself but right now for a $850 watch that's still in the 90 day return window much less a year out that's just not really an option I want to explore, as least not as the path blazer for this particular model. 

If anyone's taken one of the 6's apart and happened to take any photos' I'd love to see them. 

• Hi, I also noticed the same on my new Fenix 6X. Sent back to the distributor they in turn sent to the USA to the main Garmin store. as a result, the watch was found as defective. Just today got my new Fenix 6X as a replacement of the defective one..., but I'm afraid it may happen again..

• Hi, I also noticed the same on my new Fenix 6X. Sent back to the distributor they in turn sent to the USA to the main Garmin store. as a result, the watch was found as defective. Just today got my new Fenix 6X as a replacement of the defective one..., but I'm afraid it may happen again..

• Same with my Fenix 6X Pro. Noticed it first a few days ago, but thought maybe I was imagining something. But it’s now become very apparent. Tested it with the straps off and it still does it. Looks like I’ll be making a call to Garmin today

• Hello! 

I got the rattle vibration problem but 16 months after purchase so officially out of warranty. I received an offer to buy a renewed Fenix 6 Saphire for 290 USD with a one-year warranty or a 10% discount of any other Garmin device. Not overly great offer.

Anyway...given that it has been some time since this started - have anyone been able to repair the function - to glue it back in place? 

Also, would anyone know if the problem might get worse? Like that there are pieces flying around inside the watch that will damage it? Currently I am considering just deactivating the vibration and forget about this. 

• I have a pretty rough "vibration". When I contacted garmin support via phone, they asked me to remove the band. and then simply try and start / stop an activity. And i'll be dipped in sugar, but it seemed as if the vibration rattle was gone or very much reduced. As if the connector on the band was rattling on the watch. That seemed to solve the problem. Months later. its back. no amount of removing and replacing the band seems to help.

if I remove the band and start/stop it sure does sound like the rattle is still gone/or very much reduced. reconnect the band and its like an old (mini) diesel truck the knocking

I've not read any solution. I tried to consider if I could put something in rod that holds the band to see if it would dampen any rattle. nothing came to mind.
    Either way, you might want to remove the band a see if your vibration is just as bad.

would love to hear the results as well

• I don't have an answer for you, but on this page (near 2/3rd of it) there is a picture of the vibration motor assembly, which gives you an idea what it looks like. The buzzer assembly appears glued in place. If that glue has come loose, the fix could be a new drop of hot glue. (Disclaimer: Do not do that. You could break your watch further. The watch may not be waterproof after attempting a repair). If something inside that motor assembly is loose, I have no idea if that would lead to issues down the road.

• In my case the watch was sent to Garmin and they concluded that it was not possible to repair. I hope the made the check on the bands as a first step. 

• Since there has been a lot of issues concerning this and now many of the watches would be out of warranty it would be interesting to see how Garmin is handling this currently. At some point the DIY route becomes viable once all warranties are out the window anyway. 

• The vibrating mechanism is in millions upon millions of our watches. Although it can fail, when put into the context of how many millions of Fitness, Outdoor, and Aviation watches have the vibration mechanism stop working, it is extremely rare.

For anyone that experiences the failure, please reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region.