Weather data is wrong on my 6X

The temperature showing on the screen of my Fenix 6 Pro is wrong.  Is their someway to correct? 

I assume it is pulling from my phone but phone has correct temperature and location.

I don't see any way to change.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Cristu

Early morrning at 6 AM, and it's connected via bluetooth ever since. So you may say that for more accurate date should be connected more often or non stop  :)

Outside it's 10 degrees and on the watch only 2. Funny hourly mode it's accurate than the main widget where it's shows 2. I think there's 2 sources where he pulls weather data: one for hourly mode and one on main screen. I have location enabled, data activated etc. Maybe GARMIN can unravel the mystery. Thanks

hi,

when I started to read this thread, I enter the weather widget:

clearly should be around 16 ....

it is connected with iPhone, and Connect is opened in the background (recommended by Garmin)....

• For iOS devices, make sure the Garmin Connect app is open on the phone. The app can be minimized, but if it has been previously force closed, this may prevent the Garmin device from receiving weather data.

• If your device has GPS capability, acquire GPS on the watch. This can be done by starting an activity on your device. See your watch's manual for instructions for how to start an Activity. 

I forced a Sync and voila:

I forced a GPS sync outside, just to be sure the watch knows the exact location and another Sync same result as above.

outside is Sunny no clouds and 17 not 16 degrees.

also the hourly forecast is off:

the Weather app shows 17 degrees sunny hourly forecast 16 - 13 - 11 degrees respectively.

the watch shows 16 degrees some clouds hourly forecast  16 - 14  - 13

so... only God (sorry Garmin) knows from where the Connect is taking the weather infos.

just me,

robert

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Former Member

https://support.garmin.com/en-PH/?faq=Mxs4eRXzRdAYJ0h7yyWaj9

also Location has to be always for Connect.... 

Android

1. Open the Garmin Connect app
    2. Select   (upper left corner)
    3. Select Settings
    4. Select App Permissions
    5. Ensure Location is ON.  If not, select Manage (right side in blue)
    6. Select Permissions
    7. Enable Location
    8. Tap the back arrow at the top left to back out and save these settings
    9. Power off and then power back on the Garmin device (where applicable), and sync it through the Garmin Connect app

NOTE: For optimal performance of the Garmin Connect app, ensure that all permission settings are set to on. 

Apple

1. Open the Settings menu on the phone
    2. Select Privacy
    3. Select Location Services
    4. Toggle on if needed
    5. Select Connect from the list of apps on the Location Services screen
    6. Ensure ALLOW LOCATION ACCESS is set to Always
    7. Power off and then power back on the Garmin device (where applicable), and sync it through the Garmin Connect app
  • Today i found some information about this on garmin connect. after a running sesion, i reviewed details. on the map i could see the temperature, wind, humidity and at the very end there is the wording Source: LEXJ (in my pic is in spanish Fuente: LEXJ). After googling a bit i found this is  an ICAO airport code, the closest airport ihave to where I was running today. (about 25km). I found this airport/weather acronym comes from METAR weather system. From wikipedia i got: 

"METAR is a format for reporting weather information. A METAR weather report is predominantly used by pilots in fulfillment of a part of a pre-flight weather briefing, and by meteorologists, who use aggregated METAR information to assist in weather forecasting.

Raw METAR is the most common format in the world for the transmission of observational weather data.[citation needed] It is highly standardized through the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), which allows it to be understood throughout most of the world." Link

This makes me think weather data in the watch doesnt come from any phone app installed. Perhaps this is a more standard way of having a weather source. Nevertheless, this location which might seem close (about 25km) to me, its not accurate. We have a microclimate here, and when its raining there, we can have sun here. Or can be much colder, or windier than there. 

would be interesting to know more about why garmin does this and if theres any other source used when getting weather data besides METAR, or any other way to get better weather results.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2526827

...good finding! 

• Can we just set a fixed place for the weather and not use phone's gps?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to 2526827

few of mine:

out there are a lot of weather stations reporting in different formats/codes: METAR, BUFR, SYNOP, CLIMAT

some are letters, METAR airport codes, find them in metar station list (use the WMO code for mode information/data in meteomanz).

www.aviationweather.gov/.../stations.txt

• EKRK (Roskilde - DEN) --- METAR list Airport Roskilde 06170  - - can be used in meteomanz to retrieve the data
    • LEXJ --- METAR list - SANTANDER/PARAYA LEXJ 08021 - can be used in meteomanz to retrieve the data

from this list you can get the WMO 5-digit code and use in meteomanz link below o retrieve the station details and data, or if not in METAR list put direct the WMO code here:

http://www.meteomanz.com/index?l=1

---just put the 5 digit code in the window and hit enter

the 5-digit numeric code identifying every meteorological station registered by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Usually the first two digits identify the state and the other three are numbering the stations from north to south

all the below, from my trips, can be found in meteomanz link above.

• 15120 (Cluj - RO)    - also in METAR list  LRCL station Cluj-Napoca
    • 17609 (Larnaca - Cyprus) -also in  METAR list airport Larnaca
    • 02611 (Helsingor - DEN)  - not in METAR list
    • 06181 (Copenhagen - DEN) - also in METAR list weather station in Copenhagen Jaegers, -, Denmark
    • 02635 (Malmo - SWE)  -----  not in METAR list 
      • MALMO/STURUP airport METAR station is 02636 just for fun but is 35km from Malmo

I take the risk I dig too deep and could be boring for some but is clear now and make sense to me.

robert

• Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to vaggos13
    Can we just set a fixed place for the weather and not use phone's gps?

after findigs, seems that Garmin read the wheater data from the nearest WMO weather stations.

I'll try to prove this, based on my previous post as well:

my weather widget:

and what station 15120 says from meteomanz:

temperature, wind direction, wind speed, conditions are exactly the same as reported !!!!!!!!

the forecast as well 20 to 13 degrees Celsius 

robert

• On my Fenix 6 Sapphire the forecast is equally bad. Yes GC is able to use location always, yes it's synced with the phone. It's just way off any other sources.

Normally I wouldn't care but we are moving into hot weather season here and the correct forecast is required for heat compensation for VO2Max and for the heat acclimation feature to work correctly. Hopefully in the future the data can come from a better source or failing that at least allow manual input of the weather parameters so the compensation is done against reasonable data.

For example right now it's 28C with a forecast maximum of 29C. My watch shows 25 as current temperature and 22 as maximum! The minimum was 11 but all other sources say 14. 

If I go to the hourly forecast it shows 22 for the next four hours. Going to the long term forecast things are not much better. Sunday being the worst with a forecast of 22/13 but other sources forecast 27/13.

• I'm also seeing problems updating the weather data in the first place with either a red exclamation mark at the top or a message asking me to connect to the phone. In Garmin connect the phone is connected and heart rate is streaming. 

• Former Member you are the governor!