Sapphire vs Gorilla Glass - contrast/brightness/reflections

Hi guys,

anyone has seen Fenix 6 with Sapphire and Gorilla Glass next to each other? It is clear that sapphire is more scratch resistant but some people claim that sapphire is darker. I compared my old Fenix 3 sapphire with FR 645 and Fenix 5 with normal glass and I have to say that while there is slight difference under certain angles and lower light ... I would not call this significant at all. Most angles the two screens are near identical. Reflections seems kind of same as well. Anyone has pictures? Is Gorilla glass better from this point of view than the normal mineral glass on previous Garmin watches?

Thanks!

• But... your link shows the fenix6 with Gorilla Glass 3 - NOT Gorilla Glass DX.
    F6 pro: Gorilla Glass 3
    fenixRegistered 6 Pro --> Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Where are people getting this information from? The Corning web site shows the 6, 6 Pro, and 6X Pro all have DX.

Fenix 6: https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/products-with-gorilla-glass/wearables/garmin/fenix-6.html

Fenix 6 Pro: https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/products-with-gorilla-glass/wearables/garmin/fenix-6-pro.html

Fenix 6X Pro: https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/products-with-gorilla-glass/wearables/garmin/fenix-6x-pro.html

• And yet... Garmin, the manufacturer of the 6X Pro, shows Gorilla Glass 3 in the "Specs" section on their web site:

So... who are we to believe?  Garmin or Corning?

I am more than willing to believe that Garmin is "confused" and the material used for the 6X Pro crystal is indeed Gorilla Glass DX, but then why spec the 6X Pro as having Gorilla Glass 3?

The truth is out there...

• I've used both the 6S Sapphire (carbon DLC) and the 6S Pro (black) and there is a HUGE difference in glare and readability. I had to constantly use the backlight on the Sapphire model and was always twisting my wrist to angle it properly to avoid glare. The Pro model I can read in any light and any orientation of the glass with no reflection. I wish this model had DLC but the difference was so glaring (heh) that I had to choose the Pro model.

• Garmin has a history of incorrect information on their web site. It's just Garmin being Garmin. Heck, the web site lists the Fenix 6 Pro as having a 47mm case but the back of the box lists it as having a 46mm case.

I think we should start using the phrase "you told a Garmin" when someone makes a mistake with the truth.

• The more I switch back to using the non-sapphire (gorilla glass) 6S, the more I keep noticing the hallo around the screen, especially on the black background watch face. It reminds me of the edge LED vs. direct lit (backlit) LED flatscreen TVs of 10 years ago.

• Don't have two to compare but my recollection is that the F5 was clearer than my F5+ and F6X.  The latter are sapphire.

However, the thing that was most notable is that it seems like the sapphire fogged up more than the F5.  I can't say it was true, it's just how I remember it.   In fact, when I got the 5+ it was one of the first things I noticed about it.

I will say the the F6X does reflect the light something fierce.

• I still need some clarification about the 6xPro Solar. Corning is saying it is Gorilla Glass DX. On the back side of the Solar is written Power Glass

("The fēnix 6X Pro Solar uses our Power Glass watch lens to converts sunlight into battery power, extending your time between charges").

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=kGDYS8VOj30eMl3lMyqSi6&productID=641375&tab=topics&topicTag=region_solarcharging

Is Power Glass = Gorilla Glass DX or is there another lens under the Gorilla Glass DX???

• I'm probably an oddball here, but I actually REALLY like the character of the sapphire lens. It's almost certainly more reflective, and honestly it's perhaps harder to read in some lighting, but I've never found it to be "too hard" to read, and the reflectivity (and perpetual lack of scratches) make it look really high end. It's so shiny that it really looks like a thousand dollar watch, as it should, since it is.

Yes, it's primarily an outdoor activity watch, and for that it should have the easiest glass to read, but for me it's also a 24/7 watch, which I even wear during formal occasions, and the sapphire lens looks downright expensive and high end when I want it to. For that, I'll accept the moderately higher reflectivity during my sports activities.

Of course, this is absolutely just a matter of opinion, and everyone has to decide for themselves what's more important for them. For me, the tradeoff for a bit more reflectivity (3rd time I used that word in this post, and I'm still not sure if it's actually a word, haha) to get superior scratch resistance and a super-high-end look was worth it. But for those who primarily only use it for sports tracking, I can certainly see why they'd have a different point of view.

Variety is the spice of life, so I'm glad Garmin gave everyone both options. If I could afford to buy both choices to have the best of both worlds, I would Smiley

• I'm probably an oddball here, but I actually REALLY like the character of the sapphire lens. It's almost certainly more reflective, and honestly it's perhaps harder to read in some lighting, but I've never found it to be "too hard" to read, and the reflectivity (and perpetual lack of scratches) make it look really high end. It's so shiny that it really looks like a thousand dollar watch, as it should, since it is.

I agree with you, and my opinion is completely unbiased as I brought both the 6S Pro and 6S Sapphire so I could live with them for a week and subjectively decide which one I preferred to avoid any doubts that I made the right purchasing choice.

I also like the reflections on the sapphire display and think they give the watch 'character'. You can even use it as a mirror. But despite that, I have never had any difficulties seeing the data when I have needed to see it. I also prefer the uniform background backlight over the uneven backlighting on the FS Pro - which I wouldn't expect to see on a £600 sports watch.

But they are both great watches and I would be happy with either of them. But for me, the extra £100 makes the watch feel more high-end, more eye catching, and will probably hold its value better with the reassurance that it is constructed from more premium materials.

• Is Power Glass = Gorilla Glass DX or is there another lens under the Gorilla Glass DX???

Power Glass is Garmin's marketing term for a watch with a solar panel under the display.