Sapphire vs. Glass Screen Protector?

Am I missing something? Why would I purchase a sapphire crystal watch (+$100.00 6x pro) over a $5 glass screen protector, especially in 'light' of the fact the sapphire model permanently reduces screen clarity and light transmission? Bragging rights?

• I don’t understand why you would want to use a screen protector on a watch. It’s not like a mobile phone that gets put in a bag and carried around and has a huge surface area. Unless you a rock climbing or scrambling you would have to be pretty clumsy to scratch the Gorilla Glass. I used to have a Forerunner 630 with a tempered plastic screen and didn’t mark it during my 2 years or owning it. I don’t like the idea of putting a sticker on a nice watch. Just wear long sleeves or have it under a jacket if you the type of person who frequently rubs their arms against walls. And in the summer trade it in for the sapphire model for the bling factor and peace of mind. Just my 2 cents’ worth.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to scotthunter2

...'hope the best expect the worst".... Grinning

• I went with Sapphire.  I had my 735xt for 3 years.  Now, thankfully, never scratched it but that was 'only' a £250 watch.  I have a bit more concern about a £600+ device, especially since I wear my watch pretty much all the time.

I know I've had several 'BANG! Hope it's ok!' moment with my 735xt over those three years, and as the Fenix 6 is physically bigger, the chances of those knocks is greater.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Former Member

I'm with  who repeatedly posted the Garmin recommendation not to use a protector on Solar.

Still, sometimes my watch is on the MTB handlebar. If a nasty fail is exposed to some extent.

I had a Samsung S8 which I used as was. On the back seems that the Gorilla Glass was not the same quality as the one in the front. and on the back were a lot of tiny scratches.  

you are right  , we do not wear the watch in the pocket.

about anti-reflex coating - I owned many Omega SMP that had domed sapphire with A/R coating on the inside (2008 crisis stopped this hobby of mine to own expensive watches).

on the inside because the outside A/R coating is prone to scratch.

did you see a Breitling watch in real?... I will not notice the crystal... is A/R coated both sides. but not so scratch resistant as the naked sapphire.

it is not clear the Power Glass what coating and where (outside, inside, both) therefore remain..." hope the best expect the worst".

the fact that the crystal is below the bezel helps.... as  I owned many mineral glass watches, Citizen, Seiko, Casio simple and solar, Junghans solar, and did not scratch them... still my first Seiko 5 I bang it against a wall and badly damaged (scratched).

what I want to stress is that we sacrifice the scratch resistance to the look, to readability.

all my watches with sapphire w/o A/R (Tissot, Garmin, Hamilton, etc) did not get finally so much wrist time as the A/R ones... after all the look seems to be more important to me at least. 

tomorow I'll receive the tempered glass protector and will mount it.

if no much difference in the look, reflection, readability, I'm tempted to keep just to be sure.

but the ideea to have a protection is tempting as well.....

only the live test will tell the result...

just me,

robert

• I think people need to be more concerned about scratching the bezel since in a typical scenario in which you accidentally knock your arm against a wall, it is the stainless steel bezel that will take the hit since the glass is slightly recessed. I think the Fenix 6 and 6X are going to be more prone to this as these watches are significantly thicker than the Fenix 6S and Forerunner series and are therefore more vulnerable to impact related abrasions. But really it all comes down to how clumsy you are and whether you do high risk sports such as rock climbing and mountain biking, in which case you probably don't need to be looking at the display often anyway so the screen contrast on the sapphire model is a moot point. Then again I am a runner, road cyclist and hill walker but still prefer the sapphire glass as I like the way the reflections give the watch a bit of extra character, and the extra shine the DLC coating provides, and for the sake of £100 it makes the watch look slightly less like a sports watch and slightly more like a TAG Heuer.

• like others have said, I paid £800 for this Fenix 6 Pro Titanium with Saphire glass. It looks simply stunning, why on earth would I want to stick a piece of crap on the front and spoil its beauty :) ..plus the glass looks much shiner and special :) :)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Malcolm

...just because we have Gorilla Glass....

• I scratched my 945 within 24 hours of owning it. But, I'm mainly a trail runner, and rock and ice climber. That said, if I've never scratched a sapphire screen and I've owned a handful of them.

• Are you “chase the summit” by any chance?