Epix 2 heart rate values too low and then jump high. Impossible to train to heart rate.

My Epix 2 has been behaving unusually since the last update. It’s used to track heart rate smoothly but now seems to get stuck at low values for a long time and suddenly jump to what “feels” like an accurate value. See screenshot for one example.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Hello

I am sorry to hear you are seeing an inaccurate HR during the indoor row activities. It is common to see HR become inconsistent during some activity types. This could include, but is not limited to Rowing, cross fit, weight training, tennis, cycling, skiing etc. The reason for this, is the optical HR sensor requires the blood flow passing freely to the most surface layers on the back of your wrist. This types of activities include heavy wrist motion and/or gripping of handlebars. This can push the blood flow away from the outer layers of your wrist, preventing the watch from picking the HR up. 

Because this is a physiological effect, the extent to which each person experiences this effect can vary. 

You can try to mitigate this by adjusting how your wear the watch. You can adjust this to be further up your wrist. You want it to be snug, but not to tight. Some have luck with switching wrists, or wearing the watch on the inside of their wrist. You may also try a warm up before the workout. 

However, if none of these help, we would recommend using an HRM chest strap instead. As this would not be impacted by the motion or position of your wrist. 

• Thanks Laurie,

appreciate the response again. I recognise an inconsistent reading like this is more often associated with activities like rowing. However, the issue is new. I had never seen it before update 16.22 and has remained a consistent issue since then. The before/after comparison is quite clear, I've go loads of data.

I recognise your advice is the accepted Garmin response. The evidence is there that this only happens since 16.2. Further, I don't see why a solution for a software issue would should entail me spending more money, on more Garmin products, to address a BUG that has suddenly appeared. If the EPIX doesn't function as before because of a software update then sending me an HRM free of charge would be an responable place to meet in the middle.

Cheers,

• If you are also experiencing this concern during activities such as running or walking, or outside of activities, this could indicate another issue. For this, I will reach out to you via Private message to discuss. 

• I have the same problem with my epic 2. Same symptoms. I have tried positioning it differently(up the wrist) and using the pro heart rate strap. The problem persists. Also have to mention that it is intermittent. Malfunctions about 30%of the time  

• same problem here since updated to 16.22 and also with current Beta 17.12.

it happens during activities or also when broadcasting (when I cycle I use the Edge to record the activity), it worked fine for many months (except for backcountry skiing which was solved not long ago).

Now I am forced to use a chest strap, which I totally hate.

I am usung Garmin since the Fenix 3, I really hoped the "beta" users where all paying custoemrs were the actual testers were over, but situation is getting very annoying for 700 Euro piece of thecnology, just give us the chance to downgrade, this is the least Garmin should do!

• Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've been having this problem while cycling since long before recent updates. It is, seemingly, completely arbitrary. But it's not. Frequently, like every second or third ride, the opitcal HR measurement will fail to rise with actual HR, falling 20-40 bpm behind. When I notice it's not keeping up, I can usually fix it by doing a hard reboot, which greatly interrupts my workout. After that, HR tracks properly.

This is not a physiological effect as neither blood flow nor wrist movement are changed by rebooting the watch. The suggestion to 'warm up' before the workout is not helpful either, as when the OHR is malfunctioning as noted, my workout apparently never gets past the 'warm up' stage, at least according to the OHR sensor, until I reboot it.

• Maybe a crazy idea: what happens, when you take off the watch from your wrist so OHR stops and then put the watch back on the wrist to start OHR again... yes, I know, it's crazy, but ....

• Hello @7017726

I am sorry to hear you are also seeing a similar concern. One thing that can be changed by rebooting the watch, this means you have likely released the handle bars, and it may take a few minutes to reboot. Blood flow can be restored in this time. 

However, if you would like, you can eliminate the wrist position concern with additional testing. For example, start a Bike activity, but dont touch the handle bars. Walk around etc without holding anything. Do you see the same freeze in the HR data? Do you see this during Run or walk activities, or outside of activities? This could be indications of other issues. 

• Come on!!!

every single one of us is experiencing this problem you cannot hide again behind these pathetic “solutions”.

i have been using same watch for broadcasting HR for more than a year (and the Fenix 6 before that), very seldom I had problems with biking , now it simply doesn’t keep up, similar problems with hiking, and with backcountry skiing.

check my activity if you want..

since 16.22 situation became unbearable! Period.