OHR unreliable

I did a treadmill run today, slowly increasing the speed (after a four-minute walk warmup) by one mph per minute out to 16 minutes, then kept it the same.

As the screenshot shows, at about 12 minutes, my HR jumped, in a straight line, up from 156 to 185 and thereafter ranging from 185 to 191 over the rest of the run till I ended by walking where it tapered off. The average and max numbers shown in the screenshot above the graph are not original; I edited them after the workout because the ones originally displayed were fake.

I should emphasize that I did nothing to change the heart rate at the 12-minute mark.

My max HR is around175, so these numbers are not only suspect just looking at the graph but physiologically as well. Unfortunately, they throw off all the metrics derived from the workout, including Training Load, impact on Body Battery, max HR, Lactate Threshold and Recovery, all kind of important metrics for monitoring fitness. 

If it were a one-time event, I could disregard it. Unfortunately, I see this every couple of weeks or so; occasionally, it happens in reverse, showing an absurdly low HR over a workout.

• Do yourself a favor and buy a chest strap.

• Write to Garmin support and request solution.

Forerunner and Fenix 7 users have same issues.

• Me too. This is a cycling log.  Speed(km/h), Power(w), HR, Cadence

• Was just about to start a post in here about the OHR on my Epix Pro being useless.....

Installed the Aux Heart Rate data field today to compare OHR with strap HR (Garmin HRM Pro+) and have noted around OHR reads around 30-40bpm higher than strap.

Have been using straps for 10+ years and have a pretty decent idea what my heart rate is when active, the OHR is way way out. Did an easy run today, mostly HR Z1 / 129 ave bpm (according to the strap values and overall feel), OHR had the activity as mostly HR Z4/5 / 153 ave bpm. 

The only reason I did the comparison is I wanted to check if the unusual spikes I saw using the strap were reflected using the OHR; as it turns out, watch OHR is entirely unreliable as well, so now I have two Garmin devices I'm can't rely on.

• It's not useless it just doesn't work for you. 

It works brilliantly for me.

The problem with optical hr is it doesn't always work well for everyone. 

• That's a poor reply. It's not just me, it's at least 3 people with the same problem on this post.

OHR works fine when not recording activities, strap and OHR track identically. Surely if it didn't work for me, it wouldn't work period rather than only when running.

Red line is optical (heart_rate column), blue line is Garmin HRM Pro+ (developer_heart_rate column). They're not even close. Never had problems with the OHR on my FR935 and FR945.

I don't believe the skin and / or hair composition on my wrist's changed, so what's changed in the new Elevate 5 unit that renders it unreliable at best, useless at worst? 

• If you need reliable heart rate data in activities there is no way around a chest strap. OHR works for some and doesn't for others. No need to loose any sleep over it.

BTW: not only an issue for Garmin. You see the same behaviour on other watches with OHR functionality.

• I also use POLAR and XOSS OHR, but I have never seen such behavior. Only the Epix Pro behaves differently.

• I definitely have various examples of this sort of jump in HR with no significant trigger. I have the HRM but I don't really want to use it on every run. It's a balance act. 

• Today and the same experience. I don’t see how it can be person related. What data is it reading for the first 3.5km ? I think the micro changes would be right as they map the elevation it’s the 15-20 bpm jump on the base line and what triggered the adjustment?