Sleep Tracking Issues

I am noticing that sleep tracking is not that accurate. If I am awake in the middle of the night . It doesn’t ask me if I am awake and stop sleep tracking .

any way to customize it or it just goes by the sleep schedule .

• I did stopped it after the morning report

Opening Morning Report is sufficient to stop sleep tracking. 

• Watch goes by sleep schedule and it doesn’t stop tracking if you are awake

I wonder why mine does then. The schedule itself does not start or stop sleep tracking. It identifies a period when you are most likely to be sleeping. Sleep is determined by movement and OHR. That’s why it can start sometime before or after the start time and end before or after.  Unsure how much before after but I’ve got up at 0330 and had sleep stop once I’ve begun moving around; stop time is usually 0610 or 0630. Unsure why sleep is recorded for some people when watching TV before bed, that does not happen for me. Neither does it start tracking sleep during the period I’m in bed reading before turning off the light and starting to sleep. 
    Quite why some people have issues with sleep tracking and others do not is what presents the difficulties to Garmin when trying to fix the problems some have. I’m sure Jaamgans and I are not the only one without any complaints. 

• I have complaints also . Sleep tracking is not that accurate. Don’t think it can be that accurate. Issue here is . Incorrect sleep metrics will give incorrect recovery stats .

I know it’s Garmin forum . Wonder if AW has same issues ? 

• Wonder if AW has same issues ? 

All watches that track sleep have people that have issues and people that don’t. The best you can hope from any of them, is that they detect start and stop of sleep accurately. Any sleep stages in between are down to the algorithm used to determine the stage from movement and OHR. Obviously with Garmin it’s important that the stages and numbers reported are as accurate as GARMIN’s algorithm allows since that data feeds into other metrics. At the end of the day, I don’t need Garmin or any other watch to tell me whether or not I’ve had a good night’s sleep. However, I do have reasonable confidence when I look at the other metrics that purport to tell me how ready I am for training etc that they are plausible metrics. 

• Does sleep Zzz data has any effect on v02max score 

• "Unsure why sleep is recorded for some people when watching TV before bed, that does not happen for me"

Basically due to your next statement: 

"Any sleep stages in between are down to the algorithm used to determine the stage from movement and OHR"

If you are very still and your OHR drops close to your RHR, and you are withing your sleep window - its no wonder the watch thinks that you have drifted off into a light sleep.

On my F6x as I had so much battery to burn I used to set Pulse ox to sleep - then would have an indicator as soon as the watch thought I was starting to nod off as the pulse ox would start lighting up - and there was usually enough light leakage to see the odd flash of red.

However will say that their algorithms in this regard have significatnly improved as it isn't nearly the issue it was for me..Or maybe I have just got better at moving around enough to prevent sleep from triggering.

• On my F6x as I had so much battery to burn I used to set Pulse ox to sleep - then would have an indicator as soon as the watch thought I was starting to nod off as the pulse ox would start lighting up - and there was usually enough light leakage to see the odd flash of red.

That wouldn't be useful with the Epix2. Once the watch has started recorded sleep, there is nothing you can do about it.

- if it is during the day, it will have replaced your night of sleep (maybe fixed with latest beta, we'll see)

- if it is before you go to sleep, and if the watch actually tells you you are sleeping, you can stop the sleep, but the following morning you will see that the sleep interruption was not taken into account and the watch has recorded sleep continuously,

- if it is after you wake up, you can stop your sleep (morning report, or widget consultation), but the watch can continue recording sleep anyway during the day, despite your telling it to stop

In effect, one has no control on what the watch does with your sleep data. After you "wake up", you cannot confirm or discard sleep.

I do care about sleeping quality, because I am tracking my CPAP settings influence on my sleep, but I first have resigned myself to ignore it completely given it is completely unreliable with this watch. In particular, wakefulness periods are vastly under reported.

I am now moving on to not wearing the watch when I don't exercise. I will observe the impact on the absence of sleep data on training readiness.

Of course, I am frustrated by this state of affairs

• Makes no sense that premium sports watch doesn’t track sleep accurately.

yeah those on not accurate but it shouldn’t have that much effect on other #’s ( training readiness , recovery) .

• Garmin haas new software out . In the change log it has “Fixed potential issue causing a sleep score of 0.
    Fixed potential issue with sleep tracking.”

No idea what issue got fixed with sleep Zzz tracking.