Wrong heart rate monitor during training

First of all, I wear the watch correctly, neither too tight nor too loose. It cannot slip during training and is far enough away from the wrist ankle.
Training is the repeated ascent and descent of the same mountain.

Question: The relatively correct pulse is displayed up to the 18th minute. From then on, despite the same effort (same incline, relatively same speed), I received heart rate data in the 115 range for over 23 minutes, although the 160 range would be correct? This deviation is extreme and I can no longer do anything with this data!
From the 40th minute onwards, my heart rate is back in the realistic range.
How can this be with a 1,100€ fitness watch? Absolutely unacceptable (Garmin Epix 2; Sapphire Brown Titanium)

Following another Plot (Training) with similar problem.

Beforehand: Yes

• I have the same problem with my Epix Gen 2. When rowing the heart rate stays around 80bpm. I always wear the HRM-pro Plus which reports a rate above 130 which is more in line with my expectations. When I stop the activity the Epix reflects an increased rate more in line with the HRM-Pro. 

• Our engineers are researching reports of inaccurate HR during running activities, since software version 16.22. So if you are experiencing HR issues with the wrist HR, specifically during Run activities, they are requesting you contact Garmin Product Support to report the details of this. 

• I’ve raised my Epix 2 issue with support. The guy didn’t believe me until I pointed this thread out!.

• What is the plan to fix this? I’m having the same issue. Do we get a new watch? This was my run yesterday. HR is clearly wrong. I also have the Epix Gen2 Titanium 

• I have the same issue, the max heart rate does not cross 130 or 140 anymore. I can clearly feel that HR is 160+ when teh watch always shows between 125 to 140. See the snapshots from the run after this morning and one from 19th May

• For me, the biggest problem is that this affects directly all my data, even the type of workout, and have impact in all figures and indicators, in Garmin or Strava or Training Peaks (where my coach  see my evolution). And unless we do not upload that workout, the wrong data affecting everything stays forever…

• Exactly ! I have now read almost all the posts here and i have the same problem. The HR report is correct until 130bpm, and then it remains pretty much there even when i can feel that i must be 160 or 170 !. Epic gen 2 black, titanium edition, SW version 17.23. I really hope Garmin finds a fix for it… or it is 1000euros down the drain !

•  Any update on this issue? It effects all the readings in the watch. 

• In general I am with you. But as far as any test I have read about the Apple watch, Apple has managed to make their optical heart rate sensors to be nearly as good as ecg chest strap sensors.

So, Garmin is much longer in this business, why can't their engineers also solve this issue? And why did Garmin promise that their Elevate gen 5 optical sensors are much more accurate when they aren't. They are even worse than the Elevate 4 from Garmin Fenix 6 Pro as many users state.

Those are simple questions they have to answer for a 1000 $ watch!

• I still recommend a chest strap (HRM Pro is a good choice if you have a Garmin watch, otherwise others will also work). The chest strap will give you the most accurate data even during high frequency training. Most evaluations are based on heart rate & pace (speed & distance). Garmin will never be able to keep up with apple, especially in terms of software. I'll stick with Garmin, but you shouldn't set your expectations too high. The watch may cost €2,999, but the optical heart rate measurement will still be prone to errors. If you want sensible data and correspondingly usable evaluations (most of them are useless), you should wear a chest strap.