Hello Fēnix 7 and Epix customers,
The next public beta version is now available for your watch!
If you’ve participated in the Beta Program with previous Fēnix product lines, you’ll notice a few changes from how we have managed this in the past. And further down the line, we’ll have some additional improvements to the Beta Program (more on that later!) Notably, the fēnix 7/Epix watches use one single update file to update system software and peripheral updates (GPS version, Wireless version, etc.) So you no longer need to install multiple update files. Additionally, this forum post is now the primary resource for reading the change log notes – they are not available on another webpage. (There will be more options for viewing change logs after we implement the additional improvements to our beta program.)
The link to download the software update is listed below. Please note that your computer will download a .zip file when you open this link.
- This zip contains the software update and instructions for installation in the 'Read Me.txt' file. We have also provided a folder with the files necessary for backdating software, and instructions for this process if you choose to do so. Remember, backdating software will reset all settings.
- Please note: the included secure_config.gcd file should also be installed to your watch. This file will enable a few "beta features." For example, it will provide you with the option to reboot your watch (turn off and automatically turn back on). It will also automatically generate some files if you encounter certain issues. In short, if you are using beta software, you should also always have this file installed: it will make your use of the watch easier, and make it easier for you to report issues in software.
- Please email the Garmin Outdoor Quality Team if you find issues in software after installing this update: [email protected]
Use this link to download the zip for your watch to update to the latest Beta software:
Change log for version 8.16 (changes since v8.15):
- Added press and hold functionality to 2 and 3 data field watch face data fields.
- Fixed watch face flash during transition.
- Fixed issue which could cause sleep, stress, and body battery to stop working after a software update.
- Fixed potential issue causing 0 recorded distance for Pool Swim activities.
- Fixed potential lockup after completing a Daily Suggested Workout or Garmin Coach workout.
- Fixed issue with HRV not showing up in a Health Snapshot.
- Fixed issues with Connect IQ watch face low power transition.
- Fixed potential issue with active calories value.
- Fixed potential issue with green contour drawing.
- Fixed issues with the Fish activity.
- Fixed potential issue where Ascent and Descent data fields could overlap other data fields.
- Fixed issue with Connect IQ system 5 drag/flick support.
- Fixed UI issue with sunrise/sunset watch face data field.
- Fixed Golf issues with downloaded Course maps.
- Fixed issue where custom Power Mode profile Display settings would not work in activity.
- Fixed potential UI color issue on the keyboard.
- Fixed artifacts during the transition to the workout video page in a Strength workout.
- Fixed issue where Connect IQ apps were not reloading after being updated.
- Fixed UI issue with Adventure Race alert names.
- Fixed potential shutdown on the sensor's About page.
- Fixed clipped text on sets page in a Strength workout.
- Fixed potential UI issue on Acclimation post activity summary page.
- Removed haptic feedback for watch face data fields that do not launch anything (i.e. "epix" logo.)
- Updated language translations.
Instructions for updating software:
- Download the .zip specific to your watch, using the links above.
- Connect the watch to your computer.
- Following the included 'Read Me.txt' file, install the included gupdate.gsp file to the Primary\Garmin folder on your watch.
- Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software.
After updating, your watch will be running the following software versions. These can be confirmed on the Menu – System – About pages.
- Primary Software Version: 8.16
- This is the number on the very first About page. This number should always match the “Host” version number written on the 5th About page.
- GPS: 2.32
- Wireless: 24.61
- Sensor Hub: 18.02
- Epix Touch Screen: 10.07
Garmin Outdoor Quality Team