Navigation questions

Hello all:

New happy user here. Totally new to Garmin world, so some questions follows

I have some questions about navigation. For some reason I can't attach the pictures, so I'll just give a link

1. How to set correct popular maps on watch. Routes was set to running, walking for RUN mode. During the run I switched to popular maps and courses colored blue were from cycling (only paved courses) and not from running and walking (dirt and single-tracks
  2. When using popular maps, the visible routes are the same color as the current route used for navigation, it is almost impossible to recognize my entered route for navigation.
  3. Why navigation behaves differently if the route is transmited via garmin connect than if route is created on the watch (navigaton to point to interests- cities) Arrows for navigation are visible only if navigation is created on watch. I miss the thicky marked arrows when route is created on garmin connect.

route created on the watch

route created on GC. epix on the left

• Wow! Well this is the 6S Pro. So it doesn’t have the battery life that the full size 6 does. Also was your 100 in the mountains or was it more open range? Yeah I was disappointed to say the least that much battery was used. This is also a replacement because my original one after barely a year went from 5 days battery to 3 after an update. I wouldn’t be surprised if Garmin isn’t doing the same thing Apple does with their phones. Turning the screen, BT, and everything else off is the only way to get the most out of it. 

• I have used the Epix2 now for two 50k races with finish times of 6:20 and 7h.  In both I have Gesture mode enabled, GPS only, courses loaded with PacePro and ClimbPro enabled as well as an inReach mini connected.  Using DCR Analyzer for battery life prediction I am getting 40 to 42h predicted battery life, which is good enough for me.  

If I disconnect from the phone and the inReach mini, PowerManager states 47h battery life if fully charged.  This would include having a course on the watch.

I do turn off all course notification alerts and I do not have auto lap enabled.

Hope this helps.

• An Epix2? Yeah that a completely different category. That watch is double the cost of a Fenix 6S. I would hope at $1000, it would have 40+hrs battery life. 

I did not have Pace Pro enable this time, but do have Climb Pro, 3D Running/Climbing. I don't have Guide Me (turn by turn), but with waypoints it will show if there is a turn coming up on the bottom of the map. I do have Virtual runner on too. Also I have learned at least on my watch not to go by Garmin's predicted battery life. It will say 36 hours, drop to 27 after about an hour or two, then every couple hours it basically loses half of what it says. Once it starts dropping, it goes quickly. I can probably get about 12 hours out of it based on the mode I have it set on. Which is not good. I bought this watch because of one that wouldn't last that long. Now I can turn of screen to gesture only, GPS Only and HR and get about 18-20 out of it. I wouldn't think auto lap would matter though. This is a 42mm watch. I have found the battery in the smaller watch is much less than a 45-47mm. Thanks!

• My battery estimates are taken from DCR Analyzer and show a very consistent battery drop so I think the estimates in the 40-50h range are reasonable.  Cost has nothing to do with battery life.  I prefer the Epix2 screen and this is an Epix2 forum. All but a very small number of my races will be a max of 36h cutoffs so the watch should work well for me.

• I was saying that because I'm sure the Epix has a much better battery than a Fenix (build quality/newer tech). I didn't know this was an Epix forum, but just noticed. I don't have DCR, that's some DC Rainmaker stuff there. I'm just using Garmin's build in battery predictor.

• You can import fit files into DCR analyzer, its on DC rainmakers website and you can then see the actual battery drain and predicted duration. This is based off of actual drain and likely more accurate than the in watch prediction

• Du gehts in die Aktivität für die du das einstellen willst, dann auf Routing. Dort gibt es den Unterpunkt Strecken mit zwei Möglichkeiten, „Strecke folgen“ und „Karte verwenden“. Also genau die Übersetzungen zu den Englischen Begriffen hier.

Interesting that Follow Course is standard in every activity and „use map“ has to be selected. I believe its the opposite behaviour to the Edge devices. But i think it does calculate turning informations in „follow course“, at least the older watches did it. Will try it tomorrow and on Thursday i think.

• Hello 

I am unable to find the settings how to see the remaining total distance instead of turn commands on the bottom of the navigation screen. Any suggestions please?