Glitchy Gesture Activation

I’m having some issues with activation of the screen in gesture mode.

Intermittently, particularly when it’s been a while since I last looked at the watch, when I turn my wrist to activate the watch, it will only activate extremely briefly- a flicker really. Even pressing buttons or tapping the screen has the same effect. It can be difficult to activate the watch when this happens- usually takes a number of attempts before the screen comes on and stays on. At other times it works as I would expect.

I’ve updated the firmware, restarted, and then reset to factory settings all to no avail. I wonder if this is a hardware fault with gesture detection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

• When in an activity this is correct. Activity wrist gesture works differently to non-activity wrist gesture. The other part of activity wrist gesture that is different to 24/7 (non-activity/general) is that the screen will stay on as long as your wrist is held up - it will dim after the timeout period, but will remain on until you drop your wrist. For 24/7 if you raise wrist and keep it level it will timeout, just like if you drop your wrist it will stay on until timeout.

The change makes sense as I often find I need it on longer than usual during an activity, so its useful that it doesn't completely timeout and go black.

• I had my watch replaced after 7 month of waiting for the fix. Hope this one will work well.

• I have started having this issue too. 

when running, and turning my wrist, it flickers a few times before becoming stable. 

• I am also having this exact issue - during activity with gesture mode on it does the same - flicker then stabilise 

• +1 got my Epix replaced in record breaking time here in Italy. Everything is ok so far.

• Hi,

I got my initial Epix 2 replaced, due to a hardware fault (partly the buttons and long press stopped working and the watch also got stuck after a factory reset). Now I have the same issue with my replacement Epix 2 right away, and with SW version 9.36 :-/

• Has Garmin acknowledged this glitch?  I just bought an Epix. love it, but that little glitch is annoying especially if it occurs when exercising.  it happens when I have it as always on display or not always on.  not sure the technique to get out of the issue but usually just pushing a few buttons. was thinking of returning it, but it seems its still found in even replacement or newer units of the Gen2s.  was thinking of actually going to A Fenix but I really do like this screen and feature set.  just curious, anyone know if the Fenix suffers this too?  anyone actually make that change or  have you just tolerated this issue?

• Garmin is aware of it but what I got on information so far is, they tear down units but still haven’t found the problem yet. I personally will see if it gets worse over this month for me, currently it’s happening just once in a while and not that frequent as for some others here. I am also using Always on in Workouts so during these  it’s not an issue for me.

However it seems it’s still present in the actual stock, as my replacement is just 2 weeks back in time. But let’s see how annoyed I will be at the end of this month…

• “Fixed potential issue where Always On display would turn off.”

We at least may hope that v9.37 potentially fixes this issue as well.

Update is installing let’s see, will report here in the next couple of days.

• I had my watch replaced. I went to a Garmin Store in Milan and gently had the man in the store see this post. Pointed out as well that Chris is keeping us update and next day I have been phoned by the Support Team in Italy HQ. Simply explained what happened. They arranged the shipping for me the day I was good to go. And in an other couple of days I received the new one that was perfect and the problem was resolved.

I wish to thanks Sergio Cioce and his colleagues for the lightning fast support as well as Chris who helped a lot by keep everyone informed.