Glitchy Gesture Activation

I’m having some issues with activation of the screen in gesture mode.

Intermittently, particularly when it’s been a while since I last looked at the watch, when I turn my wrist to activate the watch, it will only activate extremely briefly- a flicker really. Even pressing buttons or tapping the screen has the same effect. It can be difficult to activate the watch when this happens- usually takes a number of attempts before the screen comes on and stays on. At other times it works as I would expect.

I’ve updated the firmware, restarted, and then reset to factory settings all to no avail. I wonder if this is a hardware fault with gesture detection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

• Just an update on my situation, I actually got my watch swapped out this week from the London office. Running perfect, excuse the pun since Tuesday. Have to say the the customer service from Chris and London has been exceptional.

One thing to note on the old watch towards the end, in addition to the usual glitches the screen would frequently go off rather than dim despite been in always on mode. 

• Thank you for the update. I have let our engineering team know that your replacement Epix 2 has solved the issue.

Updated 5/19/2022:

For anyone that reads this thread experiencing the glitch issue, engineering continues to look into the cause. As soon as we know more, I will update this thread. Our team will email everyone that has been added to the tracking case.

If you would like to get added to the tracking case, please highlight my name and send me a Private Message. Thank you!

• Hi Chris

Not had a problem with mine for a few months now but would be good to understand what the root cause/s are when you finally work through all the feedback and investigation threads.

kind regards 

Brian

• Hi Brian. I sent you a Private Message in February hoping to add you to the tracking case. You should see it pending on the top right when in the forums but if for any reason you do not see it, please highlight my name and send me a Private Message. I will be happy to get you added to the tracking case.

• I haven't reported in for a while, but since receiving my replacement watch over 4 weeks ago, I haven not had ANY gesture glitches on the new watch.  Furthermore, while I did initially have the "reboot after activity" issue a couple of times with the new watch, that also seems to have cleared up with the newest firmware.  I now hope to continue using the new watch without issue because I absolutely LOVE it, and thanks to Chris for superb customer support.

• Hi Chris, I have the same problem, when the touchscreen is active sometimes the screen begins to flash when I turn my wrist( gesture mode). if touchscreen is not active, problem is gone. I hope there is a solution for this.( Epix 2 sapphire).

Grtz

• Hi all, Just realised my gesture activation stopped working last night. Firmware update done ~2 days ago (big update where Garmin added loads of UI/UX changes). Watch purchased about 2 months ago.

Model: AUS, Black titanium with chestnut leather band (if you want to trace back to batches / boxed editions)

Model #: 007-04072-31 Rev. A   170-02516-31

I've also DM'd you.

• 6 days now with glitch free use. It's safe to say the replacement watch fixed my issue. Thanks again to Chris and Garmin for standing behind their product and providing excellent customer service!

• My Epix 2 (which is my second one after the first got replaced due to Bluetooth issues) has suddenly developed glitchy gesture activation over the last few days. I’ve has this watch for weeks and it’s been fine up until now. Rebooting the watch temporarily fixes it but the problem returns. 

Really at the very end of my patience with this device now. 

• Just an update on my Epix 2.  Chris worked out my replacement and I got it last Wednesday and so far so good. No glitchy behavior. It's on ver 8.21. I'll post if things change or update every few weeks.