Garmin Wearables don't auto detect or track activities properly/appropriately

I couldn't find the exact forum for this, but this is the closest one that I could find, so here goes. I have an Enduro 2, when I choose soccer as the activity it doesn't count it under the running related challenges even though I run about 5-10km during soccer. For example, it's April 2024 and there is the April Rundown challenge (run 50 miles or 80.5km in the month of April) and the April Time to Run challenge (do 10 hours worth of running during April). So far in April I've played about 2 hours of soccer and run about 11km during these games, but none of that counts towards the April challenges I mentioned, this doesn't make sense. Also it should automatically detect walking.  I walk to, from and around work and on average walk 5-6km on work days, but it doesn't count this under the walking challenges, if I don't manually activate the walking activity on my watch. In this day an age every activity or fitness tracker can automatically detect that you are walking, even my phone can do this. So every time I walk, I have to turn on the walking activity on my watch and drain the battery and then turn off the walking activity when I'm done walking,  this is almost laughable. Why is it a $1500 watch can't do this automatically in 2024, this is ridiculous.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I walk to, from and around work and on average walk 5-6km on work days, but it doesn't count this under the walking challenges, if I don't manually activate the walking activity on my watch.
    So every time I walk, I have to turn on the walking activity on my watch

Correct. If you do an activity, you have to start it. This is not a bug.

This watch is for athletes who want to record specific activities. I don't want the watch to record every "walk" to the bus and thus falsify my sports statistics. Send your request to : 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/ 

Alternatively, you can activate the "move iq" function. Although this is not a recording as an activity, it shows you your daily "activities" in the timeline.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=zgFpy8MShkArqAxCug5wC6 

• If this is by design, a user should at least have the option to turn auto detection off or on for certain activities e.g. for walking or running. I can understand why you wouldn't want auto detection on for running but why wouldn't you want it on for waking? Either way for $1500 auto detection off/on should be an option for activities. Thanks for the reply, I'll look up move IQ.

• The automatic activity detection is not available on multisport watches, because they support hundreds of different activities, from which many of them involve step patterns that would be necessarily falsely detected as walking (or running). Besides that, the auto-start function needs certain time of continuous walking or running for detecting the patterns, and to start the GPS, and the logging, which means you lose couple of the first minutes of the activity, anyway. 

If you wish to have the auto-start function, you would have to use the basic low-end models like the Venu, Vivo, or Lily, which support only couple of activities, and do support this auto-start feature. Some details about it are documented here: What Is the Auto Activity Start Feature on My Venu or vivo Watch? | Garmin Customer Support 

That told, the feature could certainly be added to the high-end models too, but first of all it would lead to bad habits, not getting used to start activities manually, and relying on the auto-detection, which would lead to many false detections, to late detection, premature stops, and in the consequence to countless complaints and support cases. However, if you wish to have that feature anyway, I recommend requesting it at Share Ideas | Garmin - if there are numerous requests like yours, Garmin may perhaps reconsider it.