whats the reason for the MK3 not having the gen 5 OHR

looks good so far, hoping they sorted out the build quality on the buttons?

Also im sure there is a reason they didnt include the gen 5 OHR.... but what is it?

Top Replies

All Replies

• yes, i've been holding off getting a dive watch for this release, just not going to pre order because I need to see if the 51 is going to be too big for my wrist for everyday wear / other sports

• try the epix 2 pro 51, same size. just the thickness changes

• yes, i've been holding off getting a dive watch for this release, just not going to pre order because I need to see if the 51 is going to be too big for my wrist for everyday wear / other sports

I no longer have this watch, but here is a fenix 7X 51mm on my smallish 16cm wrist.

I wore it all the time, including during sleep, no issue for me.

But I have been wearing the fenix X's series since they first were released, so I was used to it.

• I got your point and I agree, I'm Fenix7X user and now planning switch to Descent Mk3i.
    Regarding latest and greatest hardware expectation I would say for Descent it will be not possible, in my opinion target users are more interested to have reliable hardware than cutting edge technology which might put their life in danger.

It also looks that Descent series developing program is much longer than other Garmin products and it will also cause technology gap between different series.

Descent Mk2 was presented about one year after Fenix 6, Descent MK3 about one and half year after Fenix7/Epix Gen 2 presentation. I would expect eventually Descent PRO might be showed in one and half year and will be based on current Fenix 7/Epix 2 PRO models. In that time I think Fenix 8/Epix Gen 3 will be already on the market, and again we will have some technology gap.

• It also looks that Descent series developing program is much longer than other Garmin products and it will also cause technology gap between different series.

Absolutely agree.

Longer development and probably longer testing for safety, so yes there will be some lag in the fitness tech, and I suppose depends on the timing of when the other watch series get released.

Everything else comes out every 2 years but the Descent Mk's are every 3 years.

Mk1 Oct 2017

Mk2 Oct 2020

Mk3 Nov 2023

Although I think the Mk3 has essentially most of the fitness and hardware features, just not the Gen5 HR.

I have the FR 965 as my main watch, and the Descent G1 Solar as the spare plus for diving, both are very good, but will most likely get the Mk3i to replace both.

• I never was interested about G1, in my case Descent Mk3i will replace Fenix 7X as day to day device.
    I would like to have all features in one device instead of having couple.

• As an Mk2s owner, I'm gonna wait until the Mk3 Pro or Mk4

Mk3 Pro maybe, no Mk4, it would be Mk5 in 3 years going on the refresh cycle.

Why no Mk4 ? Because Four is pronounced Si in Chinese, the same as 死 (death).

Thats why there was no fenix 4, they went from 3 straight to 5 Grin

• s an Mk2s owner, I'm gonna wait until the Mk3 Pro or Mk4 that will eventually come out with the Gen 5 OHR or newer. I understand their reasoning but it's a very high price to pay for a watch that doesn't have the latest and greatest

You got me thinking now.

I may wait about 6 months to see if another variant gets released, as so often happens when they add another model to an existing Series.

Eg, Tactix 7 AMOLED, Quatix 7 Pro, Mk2S

Maybe a Mk3i Pro 47mm with HRv5

• Maybe.  But the gen 4 sensor on my Descent G1 is pretty precise.  I did a stress test on a treadmill this week.  I tracked it on my watch while watching the monitor on the EKG machine I was hooked up to.  My G1 and the EKG readout were never more than 2 bpm apart the whole time (about 7 minutes from resting heart rate up to 164 bpm).  

I wish the Elevate 5 was in the Mk3, but the gen 4 is still plenty precise for me I think.  

• I have the exact same feeling. Too expensive to have the same sensor as in my old Fenix 6X Pro. I wanted to change for 7X Pro but decided to wait for MK3 to have everything in one device. Now I'm truly sad cause don't want to spend money for new Fenix without diving computer. Will be doing my instructor training by the end of this year hopefully something will change by this time.