whats the reason for the MK3 not having the gen 5 OHR

looks good so far, hoping they sorted out the build quality on the buttons?

Also im sure there is a reason they didnt include the gen 5 OHR.... but what is it?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Why do you think MK3 Pro is possible when none of the previous versions had Pro released.

• I have the exact same feeling. Too expensive to have the same sensor as in my old Fenix 6X Pro. I wanted to change for 7X Pro but decided to wait for MK3 to have everything in one device. Now I'm truly sad cause don't want to spend money for new Fenix without diving computer. Will be doing my instructor training by the end of this year hopefully something will change by this time.

That way, you will be waiting forever.
    It will be always technology gap, between Fenix and Descent line.

• Why do you think MK3 Pro is possible when none of the previous versions had Pro released.

I never said that it will be Descent MK3i PRO.
    I said, that it might eventually be released in 1,5 year time after Fenix 7 PRO was released.

• Well you can look at this like that... But i know that sensors don't change that often. Imo they should have wait for new sensor to be available instead of releasing one of the their most expensive products with an old tech. It's one of the most important parts of that device so would be great to have the best sensor in the top shelf product. But hey ... It's your money. I can pay premium for premium stuff. This way I'll just buy diving computer separately. Imo they *** up.

• If you think, price/money is the only factor, nobody stop you.
    But that way you will always complain that something released later on the market for less money have newer hardware or functionality your watch don't have and wait for this one and only "unicorn".

• Tbh it's probably the first time in my life when I was waiting for piece of new tech only to discover that big part of it is based on old tech from 4y ago. Garmin must be the most weird company in the world tbh. I like new tech and I'm spending a lot to always get what's best but this reminds me of Apple releasing first Phones without MMS functionality or iPads with no USB Port just to make people upgrade when they release new version.. Imagine Samsung releasing their flagship phone with tech from 4y ago. They should have waited.

• Too expensive to have the same sensor as in my old Fenix 6X Pro

Actually its not the same as the sensor on the 6X Pro.

I checked the images online

fenix 6 Pro Series - OHR v3

fenix 7 Series - OHR v4 --> MK3 Series

fenix 7 Pro Series - OHR v5

Marq Gen 2 Series - OHR v4 (Even more expensive than the Mk3)

Forerunner 965 - OHR v4

Venu 3 - OHR v5

• Thank you for the info! Not sure why was sure it was the same sensor as in my Fenix 6X Pro.

• Thank you for the info! Not sure why was sure it was the same sensor as in my Fenix 6X Pro

Maybe you are not so new tech interested as you think ;)

OK, jokes aside. 
    For equipment like Descent you should start to think other way.
    It is device which life of users relies on, and being Garmin, I'd never risk put something not fully tested to satisfied users hunger for newest solutions.
    Think about possible PR disaster if somebody will die due to issue with Descent?
    From other side, they probably started their work on Descent 3 when Fenix 7/Epix 2 were released.
    Based hardware design on these devices and expand to diving capabilities. 1,5 year later Garmin showed PRO models with OHR5. What Descent team should do? Throw current work to the bean? Risk to do change and delay release date?
    Going that way, they might newer end development work.