Mk2 as a Freediving watch

If you ever consider buying Mk2 mainly as a Freediving watch, the put in budget to buy also a SUUNTO or a 150

Apnea (freediving) settings are not even close to their competitors, even though the Mk2 has everything, it is not ideal to use it.

Example:

- impossible to see current water temperature (only temperature at depth)

- there is no statistics on ascent or descent speed after dive (you have during the dive, but have you ever seen someone coming back from a 40 meters dive looking at the watch to see speed???)

- you cannot select which data to see (customizable screens) like in Dive mode

- there is no diving count (how many dives you did in the day)

Freediving in pool:

- If you happen to go deeper than 1 meter, the diving mode kicks in and it is not possible to exit, even though You select "pool mode" (what does it even do???)

- it is not possible to use a stopwatch (or timer) to keep track of your dynamic apnea trainings for the reason above.

- for the same reason it is not possible to keep track of the apnea, because it needs at least 1,2 m. to activate, or deactivates at 0,5.

- for pool training you need to put it in swim, to have at least heart rate, but then you miss all other functionalities...

Hope someone will read before buying, or that Garmin will update the now 6+ months old firmware...

• Hi Haytham,

On my side, I have no delays in accessing any functions. Everything is the same as before the update. However, I can't write that everything works very fast, because it has never been lightning fast. Are you able to make a short video showing your problem and share it with the help of YouTube for example?

BR, maryooshek

• Yes, sure

• I calculate the timing is 15 sec not 30 the time to return back to be delay when press and hold any hot key

• Hi, 

It's very similar on my side. I belive that the delay is for purpose. Short press is for the widgets, long press is for the settings.

BR, maryooshek 

• So we finally have an update for the Apnea (Freediving) activity.

Thanks Garmin!

If someone of Garmin is listening I would like to give a feedback on new functionalities (tested for 1 week on holiday):
    GOOD
    - Very good the Ascent/Descent rate on the last dive
    - Very good that now temperature shows actual temperature of the water, very useful
    - We now have a stopwatch. Very useful for security when you are buddying a friend and want to keep track of his dive time

IMPROVABLE
    - Surface time is now located on top of the screen. On my MK2S the heart rate (just under the surface time) has a bigger font than the surface time. This does make keeping track of recovery time a little more difficult especially if you are over 40 years old Slight smile It would be nice to have them inverted as it is very important to keep track of recovery time more than heart rate. IT IS A MAIN SAFETY to have recovery time well visible.

NOT GOOD
    - we don't have the time available anywhere. To see what time it is, we have to exit the activity, save, look at the time and start a new activity. Because we stay out many hours in the water, it is critical (especially for marriage :) ) to know at what time we have to stop having fun SmileySlight smile

Other than this you did a good job. Let's hope it will not pass another 8 months for these two small improvements....

• Greetings, 

I tried the new update and was very nice, regarding the time of the day, enter apnea settings then surface screens, you will find 5 screens are available, for my case i turned on screen 3 with data field of: time of the day, battery percentage, heart rate and Compass.

Also for any screen you can modify as you wish, i added dive numbers on the first screen.

Do you experience any lagging after update? i experience lagging when  the phone is disabled (bluetooth) on my watch, if phone is on everything is okay.

Also, what about the battery, is it drain faster or normal... 

Thank you.

• Try to enable the phone and test again, for my case it work well, only if i disabled the phone the lag appears. So weired!

• Hi! How you add dive numbers to freediving mode screens?

• Hi...press start and go to apnea without selecting, then press and hold menu botton, apnea settings will show up, then press start again to select apnea settings, then scrol down to surface screens and press start to select, will show you screen numbers, choose screen 1 if you want to modify the first screen, then will show up the layout field i my watch i use 6 fields to show as much as i can from what i need, then you can modify and assign each field, for dive number, select diving field then choose dive number...then back till exit all menu, to test open apnea and start and view the screens.

• Thanks a lot for super fast answer! Slight smile