Mk2 as a Freediving watch

If you ever consider buying Mk2 mainly as a Freediving watch, the put in budget to buy also a SUUNTO or a 150

Apnea (freediving) settings are not even close to their competitors, even though the Mk2 has everything, it is not ideal to use it.

Example:

- impossible to see current water temperature (only temperature at depth)

- there is no statistics on ascent or descent speed after dive (you have during the dive, but have you ever seen someone coming back from a 40 meters dive looking at the watch to see speed???)

- you cannot select which data to see (customizable screens) like in Dive mode

- there is no diving count (how many dives you did in the day)

Freediving in pool:

- If you happen to go deeper than 1 meter, the diving mode kicks in and it is not possible to exit, even though You select "pool mode" (what does it even do???)

- it is not possible to use a stopwatch (or timer) to keep track of your dynamic apnea trainings for the reason above.

- for the same reason it is not possible to keep track of the apnea, because it needs at least 1,2 m. to activate, or deactivates at 0,5.

- for pool training you need to put it in swim, to have at least heart rate, but then you miss all other functionalities...

Hope someone will read before buying, or that Garmin will update the now 6+ months old firmware...

• I hope they listen to users and bring more customization to the diving apps, and update the watch firmware more promptly.

• BTW, I am not saying it is a crap watch, just saying that I have bought a Ferrari, but I am limited to use it like a sedane.
    As a multisport watch with diving functionalities is great!
    But as the name suggest MK2 DESCENT, should be focused on the DESCENT (water) disciplines.

Just wish they could give us a more flexible customization for freediving.
    E.

• impossible to see current water temperature (only temperature at depth)

Not sure what you mean, but you can see the water temperature at any time. Either scroll to the temperature widget (add it to your screens roll, if you did not yet). You can go to the widget even from a running activity (press Back, scroll to the widget, and than press Back again to get back to the activity). Much better though, is customizing one of the screens of the activity and adding the temperature field there

- you cannot select which data to see (customizable screens) like in Dive mode

Well, I do not own the MK2, so cannot tell for sure, I may be wrong, but I would be really surprised if you could not customize the screens, or add a supplementary screen with fields of your choice. Try looking again into the Activity settings » Data Screens. Scroll to the very bottom, and there should be an option for adding a custom screen. But normally the fields in the predefined screens are all editable too.

- there is no diving count (how many dives you did in the day)

Use the lap button to mark your dives. The number of laps will be then equal to the number of dives.

- If you happen to go deeper than 1 meter, the diving mode kicks in and it is not possible to exit, even though You select "pool mode" (what does it even do???)

You know the solution - start the pool activity before you dive

it is not possible to use a stopwatch (or timer) to keep track of your dynamic apnea trainings for the reason above.

Yes, it is. You can use both stopwatch and timer anytime, even when in an activity. It is accessible by long-pressing the Back button. However, using the stopwatch for timing freedives is nonsense. Learn to use laps and the lap screen with the lap time field instead. You'll then have the full record of all freedives in the pool session in the activity overview in Garmin Connect.

- for pool training you need to put it in swim, to have at least heart rate, but then you miss all other functionalities...

What functionality exactly do you miss?

• The Apnea data screens can't be customized. When you're in an Apnea activity there is no way to access widgets. Unlike other apps, in the Apnea app the Lap button actually ends the activity so you can't use it to count dives, nor can you access the stopwatch.

Did you even read the manual?

• Did you even read the manual?

No, I do not own the watch, as I wrote. However, you do not need to use the built-in activity. At least for the pool trainings it makes no sense, and I guess that even for the depth disciplines you could build a custom activity with all the data you need on the screens, and with the possibility to use the lap button properly. 

• Did you even read the manual?

OK, now I did, despite not owning the watch. I found nowhere in the manual any information telling that the apnea activity is not customizable, or that it is not possible to add supplementary data screens. Of course, as I do not own the watch, I cannot test it, but wonder whether you tried adding a supplementary data screen directly on the watch, or whether you just did not succeed doing so on the phone app. Not all options are available for editing through the phone. Often it is better doing the customization directly on the watch.

• I own the watch. It is not possible to customize or add Apnea data screens. You can customize data screens for the other dive activities (at least to a limited extent) but not for Apnea or Apnea Hunt. The criticisms above are 100% valid. I am mostly an open circuit tech diver and only do a little bit of freediving so I can live with the limitations, but still it's annoying that Garmin has put so little effort into this product line.

Descent Mk2/Mk2s - Apnea and Apnea Hunt Data Screens (garmin.com)

• It is fine you disagree, but you do not need to childishly downvote all my posts. Most of the advices are still valid anyway (except of the 2nd one where I wrote it in advance, and perhaps the 3rd, where you may be able to bypass it by defining another hotkey for the lap button), because they refer to the freediving pool training, where you do not need any apnea mode at all. I use it exactly in that way for my pool freediving trainings, despite not having the apnea activity on my watch.

Those who are not narrowminded, may still find the tips helpful. There is no need for denigrating the offered help. Just ignore it, if it does not interest you.

• A lot of changes/updates in the latest firmware in terms of the APNEA apps and settings in general. Hopefully some of you will be happy with those updates. Wink

• Hi Maryooshek, i just update my MK2S into latest firmware and it is so cool for apnea solve all problems, but i have concern do you face a lagging while pressing hold menu to enter settings mode a little delay like a couple of seconds, i faced that after the update. please let me know as it seems like watch enter power saving mode after 30 sec, while using its normal only when you leave it for 30 sec i am facing a delay first use