Descent Mk2i Locked to Gauge Mode

Hi everyone,

just purchased a brand new Descent Mk2i for a diving holiday.  I’ve arrived on holiday and done a bit of snorkelling on the first day while wearing the watch.  I dove down about 2 meters for approx 10 seconds to point something out to my partner.  The watch logged the dive as a gauge mode dive and has now locked me out for the next 24 hours.  When I’m trying to enter single gas mode, I’m getting a message telling me that only gauge mode is available for the next 22 hours.  I have 2 dives booked for the morning, anyone know how I can unlock the computer so that I can use it?

It seems insane that my computer is locked out just because I snorkelled down 2 meters.  My old Suunto D6 never did this.  Surely it should be capable of allowing snorkelling with the occasional dip under the surface with proper scuba dives too?

Any help so that I can use my computer in the morning would be much appreciated.

• A few limited studies have been done with civilian divers. But even those generally just looked at incidences of clinical DCS symptoms and sometimes bubble scores. I'm not aware of any that actually biopsied tissue and measured inert gas saturation to quantitatively validate the Bühlmann ZHL-16C Algorithm. That doesn't mean it's wrong necessarily, but only a fool would have confidence in it for the scenario under discussion here. 

• Thats right i think there was a thing about deep stops being good on decompression dives then they discovered that while it alowed off gassing for slow tissues, medium and faster tissues would off gas enough to cause air emboli, theory failing on meeting practice, theres a good video on this by australian dr that i cant find now if anyone has link id be grateful.

On a related note bhulman c is a modification of bhulman b that was made for the chipsets of the first dive computers because they couldnt process bhulman c, bhulman b should be the protocol as per ratio dive computers.

Given power and expense of mk2 why cant it also run vpm algos, ratio dive computers for example can run bhulman and vpm concurrently to allow switching.  Considering cost of descent it comes with alot of limitations others dont which given price is unacceptable tbh, like customising the dive screens etc.  I love the watch and the all in one but i am starting to wish id gone with a fenix, or even mk2, and got a mature dive computer like sherewater, ratio or new suunto eon instead.  Sherewater being most versatile fanboy status aside

• Yes I've seen that study. It's interesting but not particularly useful, in that in compares dive computer algorithms to historical Navy dive profile outcomes. Not really applicable to recreational divers doing multiple repetitive dives over multiple days.

The whole concept of a "no stop time" or "no decompression limit" reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of decompression. While you can get away with it (avoid clinical symptoms) most of the time, a better approach is to treat every dive as a decompression dive regardless of what the computer shows. Empirically this seems to give better results for repetitive diving, although there hasn't been any real research in this area. So who knows.

• Incorrect, it went into guage mode during a snorkel on my first day before locking me out for 24 hours.  Rest of the trip has been used in single gas mode, once it unlocked itself.  

• Was guage mode the mode you were in the last time you used it?

• Was a solve determined for this? I entered gauge mode for a gas dive by accident and am now unable to change back for 24h, despite not doing an actual gauge dive.  Brand new watch for me, so this is pretty disappointing to be unable to reverse.

• I never managed to solve the issue, I even went as far as trying to reset the computer to factory settings but it retains the lockout in the memory.   I just had to wait out the next 24 hours which was really frustrating, and made a mental not to wear it snorkelling if I planned on diving under the surface.  

• I had the same problem but tried resetting the tissue saturation, which solved the issue.

I found this option (reset tissues) under reset in the system settings and after restarting the watch I was able to use the different gas modes again. Obviously, it loses track of your surface interval. 

The watch is annoyingly sensitive to how and when a dive is started - whenever I jump into the water it starts the last used diving activity - my 'gauge activity' that was blocking normal use was a "max. 0.7m, avg 0.3m dive" for 59s, which is obviously not an actual dive.

A more logical approach would be something like a minimum 20s below 3m to start any diving activity automatically. Garmin pls fix.