This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Stop watch going into dive mode

I want to stop my watch going into any form of dive mode, pool or depth.

I have successfully been able to activate the "pool mode" but this is still annoying as hell. When doing freedive training in the pool it will activate and then stop me from accessing aspects of the watch like the stopwatch for recovery times. 

Does anyone know how to keep this just in a "watch mode" when in the water as this is a painful drawback of the Garmin.

I don't care that it doesn't actually log the dive/swim, I don't want it going into any mode regardless 

Moderator: Due to the combative tone and personal attacks, this thread will be locked. Please keep future conversations civil and on topic. Thank you.

Terms of Use | Garmin

• The only way to stop it from going into dive mode is to start another activity before going into water. Yes I know, this is annoying me as well. There is another thread on this topic here  in the forum with suggestions and has been discussed a lot on the MK1 forum, but Garmin does not listen to that...

I always start a temperature app when I swim, that will keep the watch from going into dive mode...

• Activate UP Key in the dive settings. 

• And how would  that stop the watch from going into dive mode....?

• I hope Garmin engineers read our messages.

I have the same problem with my Mk2i.  I go to the beach at least 2 times a week and swim.  Sometimes I like to free dive once just to see something on sea bet and the watch enters the Dive Mode.  It is very annoying for a dive watch at this price.  I used to wear my Suunto D6i and I could disable the dive features when I went for swimming or just to the beach.  I enabled them when I am going to had a dive, early in advance. 
    I hope Garmin will introduce an On/Off feature of the dive modes.  It is the most expensive dive computer I have so far but it behaves like a toy.
    I own Suunto Stinger, D6i and EON Steel.  I consider their behavior more professional than that of my Mk2i.

• I hope Garmin engineers read our messages.

They might read the message but don't act on them.  The Mk1 which is over 4 years old has the same problem and it has been discussed many times to no avail.

• I've raised several analytical issues with them as well with zero response. It's clear Garmin don't give too hoots about listening to their customers. Once this watch dies (in hopefully 10 years from the cost) I 100% will not be buying another Garmin watch unless they pick up their act

• Our Friend Garmin_Nate here even raised a feature request about this, after some email exchanges I had with him, but it never resulted in any improvements on this issue…

• Guys what are you talking about here?  A dive watch must start automatically the dive mode when you descent and this os a feature thst prevents someone to forget to activate the dive mode.  If this feature has an option to turn off then it's possible thst someone will turn it off and then he will forget to activate it again.... And that only compromise the whole consept!

So they put the pool mode so itwill not record but still measure the 16 tissues of the Buhlmann algorithm. Also this watch tracks all rhe time these tissues even if you don't dive and that's a very important thing because ir allows for the best possible offgas and automatic adjustment for altitude diving.

Also some of you say that you freedive sometimes while you swim... Well if you have it at the pool mode and your last activity was freedive then it will go to this mode until you get out of the water so no bid deal.

About the guy who freedive and wants to use the chronometer for his breaks, I want toinform him that they already have an automatic chronometer on the freedive mode that activates when you reach the surface.... So learn your watch dude!

The only problem with the the automatic activation of dove modes is when you change altitude too fast and the watch thinks that you started a dive, for example that can happen inside an airplane and for this reason you have to activate another activaty to prevsnt it because thw watch will stack at thw dive mode and then it will need to be reseted to fix the problemAirplane departure.

• I do not think you got the point what we were talking about…

• Really I got it... The problem with you is that you want to disable a function that is not meant to be disabled and is designed like this for a reason!