Mk2i sales

Does anyone know jow good mk2/mk2i sales have been to date?

• The garmin australia website still has availability

• Still not available in Canada, I think the sales will be good!

The main complaint about the Mk1 was AI, ignoring the complaints about features (as your not buying a Mk2 as a serious athlete you are buying it as a diver who likes sports.

Ignoring the complaints about updates and upgrades (compare notes re updates on Oceanic etc Garmin is no different) 

This is till the combo device to beat, if you want a single device for diving, sports, notifications that looks semi nice with a dress shirt there is no competition (if Shearwater added GPS and on screen activity stats sure there would be but they don't offer it).

• Ignoring the complaints about updates and upgrades (compare notes re updates on Oceanic etc Garmin is no different) 

You’re really ignoring complaints that people had about Garmin’s lack of efficiency in resolving problems in a timely manner? People that had the watch for several years and watched 10 months to year in between updates (their first update after release took 3 months to add in MN into the Compass option...3 months). Are you serious? Problems still exist with the watch.

Don't compare Oceanic to Garmin. Oceanic is a diving company, which if you knew anything about them, you would know that they get their computers programmed by Pelagic. Shearwater is a company that handles things promptly, that should be the standard. 

Your comment was an irresponsible, “stick my head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong” response. Spend your money the way you want to, I don’t care. But don’t pretend that Garmin didn’t have massive issues with the first generation.

• Hello Odie21, actually it was a ostrich response but not the way you phrase it, I have owned several garmin devices and know that support is not great and I am well aware of how Oceanic works (I use and have used their devices). And while I currently dont dive on any Shearwaters I have and will again.

Shearwater was not in my list for a simple reason, nobody from my experience is in the same bracket when it comes to support and testing and ....  However my fundamental statement remains if you want a dive computer with AI and advanced sports activity support and GPS and integrated music and ,,,, there is no alternative on the market, if that is not critical then there is a better device in each and every category, however they are separate devices.

Everyone is free to disagree or agree, my opinion is solely my own.

• Yeh I got mine within 24 hours but the tank pods are out of stock till early December. Got one in order 

• The main complaint about the Mk1 was AI

Not for me.  I bought my Mk1 knowing full well it didn't have AI.  Had it had the AI that is now available with the Mk2i, it is unlikely I would have bought it.

My main complaints are the poor support and dumb design decisions related to the dive functions.

I have owned several garmin devices and know that support is not great

Think about how "not great" the support was and then multiply that by 10!

I, also, owned server Garmin devices before I got my Mk1 and thought I was prepared for the lacklustre support.  I was not.  It was far worse than I experienced with my previous devices.

The Mk1 had the potential to be a great device and a great dive computer but it appears that Garmin know little about diving and aren't prepared to listen to their customers who are actual divers.

I see a number of features that SHOULD have been in the Mk1 have been implemented in the Mk2(i) so perhaps theyhave listened - but there is no reason those features shouldn't have been in the Mk1 in the first place, or could be added now as they are just software/display items.

That said, they seem to have gone overboard (no pun intended) with the dumb NO FLY feature.  It was dumb in the Mk1 at least you could turn it off.  The fact that you are stuck with it in the Mk2(i) again shows they know nothing about diving.

• Thanks atj777 I should have said my main complaint, as for me AI is a deal breaker. The no fly is rather silly and the fact it's permanently on the screen makes it even more so.

My concern is reading all the comments is am I messing up and should get the Marq Captain and a cheap but reliable dive computer. The problem is compounded by bad timing, my wife is looking to get it for me as a combined bday/xmas present which means soon, ideally I would have waited 6 months so real field testing by independent divers would be available.

Alas as a simple recreational dive computer I am hoping it's good enough but I have to admit I am a bit worried as the AI has not been tested by any "casual" divers since it's not on the market yet.

• should get the Marq Captain and a cheap but reliable dive computer

How is the marq captain diffetent to the fenix 6 pro with the same apps installed, £750 extra aside?

• For me the AI in the Mk2i is the actual deal breaker.

If it supported PPS transmitters I might have considered upgrading at some point (despite my frustrations with Garmin) but having to buy extra transmitters (I already have 3 PPS transmitters which I use with my Perdix) at double the cost of what I can get PPS for, just makes the whole idea of upgrading ridiculously expensive.  Also, I'd have to have two transmitters on each of my three reg sets.

The irony is that Garmin strongly recommend not diving with the Mk2(i) alone:

The diving features of this device are for use by certified divers only. This device should not be used as a sole dive computer. Failure to input the appropriate dive-related information into the device can lead to serious personal injury or death.

So, they want you to dive with a backup computer but by going with a non-standard transmitter they have made it more difficult and more expensive to have a backup for the AI portion.