Altimeter calibration based on METAR data.

Hi Garmin developers.

It would be useful to be able to calibrate the altimeter based on the mean sea level pressure (QNH) available in METAR reports. The QNH value could be enter manually or querying a data server.

Best regards.

• Hello,

I am not an expert in this but I just want to say that I can provide you with some general information.

Calibrating the altimeter based on mean sea level pressure (QNH) can indeed be useful for accurate altitude measurements. While I don't have specific information on Garmin devices, many altimeter-equipped devices and avionics systems support altimeter calibration based on QNH values.

To calibrate an altimeter using QNH, you typically need to adjust the device's pressure setting. This adjustment compensates for the variation in atmospheric pressure at different altitudes and provides a more accurate indication of your current altitude relative to mean sea level.

Here are a few general approaches to calibrating an altimeter with QNH values:

1. Manual Entry: Some devices allow you to manually enter the current QNH value obtained from a METAR report or any other reliable source. Refer to your device's user manual or settings to find the option for manual QNH entry.

2. Data Server Integration: Certain devices or applications may offer integration with data servers or weather services that provide up-to-date QNH values. This integration can automatically retrieve the QNH information based on your current location or a user-defined location. Ball Sports Pro

3. Wireless Connectivity: Some devices support wireless connectivity, such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, which can enable the device to retrieve QNH values directly from compatible sources like smartphones or aviation data services.