G1 shut off during dive

My brand new G1 solar just shut off during a freedive to 20 meters in freshwater.

Two days later the same happened to my friends G1 non solar.

Both watches just shut off, forgot the dive data of the last dive and could easily powered back on.

Posting it on reddit and found another stranger who claimed the same happened to them during a scuba dive.

Anyone else ever encountered something like that?

I mean wtf? I can understand a faulty product and hardware failure but this seems to be software related and is extremely worrying for a dive computer.

• Mine restarts completely during strength training, comes back to the activity screen in paused state. After I continue the workout it does not register my heart rate anymore. It is completely random, sometimes does it three times in a row, different times during the workout. Some days works end to end. I thought it has a memory issue so I deleted most of the apps etc. Has not happened during a dive, did 14 dives so far with it - single gas mode only

• You guys are so funny, i've DMed you 15 days ago with some details about the swimming pool shutdown and so far haven't received a reply, not even a receipt of acknowledgment
    Way to go, Garmin

• I just encountered restarts very shortly after all my dives on a 2-week holiday, which I probably wouldn't have noticed except for my watch face customisation. I checked my watch on surfacing, watched its 'end dive' countdown and saw it said 'Saved' on the display. I then pretty much ignored the watch for the next 20 minutes whilst I was getting back on the boat, de-kitting, rinsing stuff and getting my equipment set up for the next dive. However, what I kept noticing after that was that although my watch was working as normal, the 4-hr HR graph that I have on my main watch face was blank, which is something that's consistent with watch restarts (the full HR data is still there when viewed in GC, it's only the on-watch chart display that's lost). Once I realised this, I paid more attention to the watch immediately post-dive, and twice caught it power cycling - showing the Garmin triangle whilst it rebooted within 10 minutes or so of the end of each dive.

If I didn't have the HR graph on my watch face and hadn't just happened to look at my watch during the couple of minutes a restart takes, then I probably wouldn't even be aware of this behaviour as the actual dives and post-dive data show up fine in GC. However, I'd imagine if one of these restarts had happened during a dive, I'd have lost that activity. The point here is that I think this might potentially be a bigger problem than currently reported in that people aren't even realising the restarts are occurring due to the lack of any noticeable trace outside of dives or other activities.

• I have a colleague who had MK1 shutoff during 45m dive. Looks like this accident happens not only to G1
    At the same time, I own G1 and never had an issue.

• this shutdown issue not only happend in diving mode. swim、run、HIIT、freedive... all can trigger the bug.

I've reported to Garmin service, but they said it's known issue and only happend with swim mode.

obviously, lier.

Please pay attention to this issue and invest more resource to solved it.

• I just figured it out some days ago, quite a silly actually:

1. You need to register to garmin forums
    2. (Login to forum)
    3. On computer: Hover mouse over Garmin-Nate of the Nates message header (or Garmin logo) on Nates message and menu will come up with options "Send private message", "Follow" and "Request Friendship". On mobile I have not found alternative to the mouse over.

• Yes, I can confirm that with even a video record that the watch just restart after i pick the pace pro strategy. I cannot use that on one of the route and it runs perfectly normal on the other route.. both pace pro. so, it is really normal and i noticed it happened more frequent when you use the maps or navigation. I had it happened on open water swim, hiking, trail running, SUP. either pause or restart. 

• Mine has now failed twice during a dive. Will make a new post.