D2 Delta PX Features?

Dear All,

I have several questions regarding the new D2 Delta PX:
1. Currently I live in Indonesia, and I heard this watch features only support several countries which is not including Indonesia or even Africa. Does this mean it will be no use for me if I buy this watch? FYI, I'm not a pilot. I just like the idea of using radar or Weather (Nexrad) since I travel a lot.
2. Can a Fenix 5x Plus take care my need of radar and or Nexrad Weather? Should I go for Fenix 5x Plus instead?

Thank you for your help.
  • Nexrad needs to be available in those countries in the first place in order for the D2 watch to pull that data. Other D2 features such as METAR, Fly App, Airport data should work. However, since you are not planning on using the aviation features, you might as well consider a Fenix because it is cheaper and get more frequent firm wear updates. Is radar available in Indonesia and Africa? if so, check this widget out:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/9c692f27-57d6-4488-91ae-5dd846a4ad26
    This will produce a static image, however. Hope this helps.

• The D2 Delta has worldwide coverage for airport weather (METAR/TAF) and for other basic airport info (runways, frequencies, etc). I was able to pull up that for Jakarta's airport (ICAO ident: WIII).

NEXRAD, by definition, is the weather radar system in the United States. The "NEXRAD option" on the D2 Delta is only available for certain countries, where equivalent coverage exists. For example, in Canada we have a national weather radar system similar to the USA NEXRAD so when the NEXRAD option is selected on the watch I see weather radar data from Canada's system. I believe there is also coverage for the UK and most of Western Europe. I tried selecting NEXRAD for Jakarta but received the "No NEXRAD Data" error message so I believe you are out of luck. To confirm this and to see if Indonesia is on the list to add in the future, I would contact Garmin Aviation.

As for the Fenix 5X Plus, you will get the same maps as the D2 Delta PX but without the airport and aeronautical navigation aid data, which is really only of use to pilots. And you won't get the airport weather or NEXRAD (where coverage exists).

You can get the airport weather from the METAR/TAF Connect IQ widget -- https://apps.garmin.com/en-CA/apps/99cfcc6b-5569-4e2d-9c4a-d0d946358a76 -- but you won't have weather radar unless there is a third-party widget that provides it.

If you're a pilot then the D2 Delta PX is the way to go, but otherwise I would just get the Fenix 5X Plus and look at weather radar on my phone. I occasionally use my D2 Delta for viewing the weather radar but since it needs a data connection anyway, I just look at it on my phone which has a bigger screen.