This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrating from old Delorme Forum

Just moseyed on over here from the old forum to Garmin country.

Any DL community posters lurking?
  • Best bet to move your tracks is to export them from TNA in .gpx format. This will allow you to import them into Basecamp. That's about the extent of my knowledge there, though. In particular, if you were cutting custom vector layers for your PN-60 (rather than just placing tracks on the unit), I don't know what's involved. I know it's possible to create custom maps for most Garmin units, but that's about it.

Garmin topos, which cost a significant amount of money, are essentially the same 1:100000 vector topos that were available from DeLorme for free. Not sure if the topos come with road routing capability or not. Never much cared one way or another. Have a Nuvi for that.

If you were a Map Library user, Garmin offers similar topos (1:24000 USGS topos) and imagery through its Birdseye subscriptions. IIRC, a subscription costs about the same as the Map Library (in the neighborhood of $30/year). However, you will need two subscriptions - one for topos and one for imagery. And the subscription is tied to a specific unit, rather than a household.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Delorme users should probably first back up any saved PN-60 tracks to a Windows folder and/or SDHC card. Reason: Delorme Topo8,9,10 handheld import does not store track data in gpx format in Delorme Docs or anywhere else.

AFIK, track files cannot be imported directly into Nuvi/Drive devices. However, auto thinned and saved tracks from Nuvi file copies may be imported directly into Delorme Topo or the PN-60. Best bet is to create a gpx labeled folder on the PN SD card so that both tracks and waypoints will import in a single operation. Nuvi Current track and waypoint files can also be imported into Topo in separate operations, subject to Delorme truncation of WP content.

Might as well bite the bullet and learn Basecamp for Garmin handhelds, or so I infer.
  • Hello gang...
    Finally made the move when I saw the Delorme Forums are gone. That's a real shame. I was waiting for the PN-80wSE!

Hank30721
  • Old Garmin user, recent PN-40 hold out, new Garmin Rino 755T, but confused...

Best bet to move your tracks is to export them from TNA in .gpx format. This will allow you to import them into Basecamp. That's about the extent of my knowledge there, though. In particular, if you were cutting custom vector layers for your PN-60 (rather than just placing tracks on the unit), I don't know what's involved. I know it's possible to create custom maps for most Garmin units, but that's about it.

Garmin topos, which cost a significant amount of money, are essentially the same 1:100000 vector topos that were available from DeLorme for free. Not sure if the topos come with road routing capability or not. Never much cared one way or another. Have a Nuvi for that.

If you were a Map Library user, Garmin offers similar topos (1:24000 USGS topos) and imagery through its Birdseye subscriptions. IIRC, a subscription costs about the same as the Map Library (in the neighborhood of $30/year). However, you will need two subscriptions - one for topos and one for imagery. And the subscription is tied to a specific unit, rather than a household.

Howdy, first day on the new GPS, still waiting for a RAM mount to put on my sled. What are the step by step instructions to get my prior PN-40 and DeLorme Topo files converted over to my new Garmin? I installed BaseCamp and had a flashback to my old days with my prior Garmin GPS and the 'white screen" and no detail. I have all the Topo info pre-loaded on my Rino, but looking at that BaseCamp lack of detail is freaking me out.

Anyway, assuming a lot of folks will be coming over with the change. Maybe there should be a specific thread or help section devoted to us prior PN-XX users who now are on a new Garmin? I'm guessing there will be a lot of freaked out folks, like me, who have some 7-8 years worth of snowmobile GPS files on my PN-40, so I can navigate the woods. (I noticed snowmobiling isn't even an activity you can select with Garmin on the BaseCamp! So, I guess I'm an ATV'er for now.

Any specifics would be a HUGE help for me and others...I'll search around if there was already posts on it. I was kinda shocked there were not specific Garmin Rino pages, specific to my model, etc?

Thanks,

Cravenfan
  • Old Garmin user, recent PN-40 hold out, new Garmin Rino 755T, but confused...

Best bet to move your tracks is to export them from TNA in .gpx format. This will allow you to import them into Basecamp. That's about the extent of my knowledge there, though. In particular, if you were cutting custom vector layers for your PN-60 (rather than just placing tracks on the unit), I don't know what's involved. I know it's possible to create custom maps for most Garmin units, but that's about it.

Ya, I don't even know how to post on here, it would appear...maybe this will double post...

Is there a specific, detailed way to convert PN-XX (I have a PN-40) over to the Garmin Rino XX (I have a new 755T)? I downloaded the BaseCamp and had flashbacks when I saw the white, blank, non-detailed map once opened. Compared to the DeLorme Topo USA, I instantly felt confused and upset. I'm hoping that it will grow on me, but so far, change is hard.

I have about 7-8 years worth of snowmobile trail GPS tracks, waypoints, etc. on my PN-40 and I want to convert them over for next season. (Currently, there is no RAM mount currently for my Rino, as I have my PN-40 mounted on my sled while riding.) I also noticed on BaseCamp, "snowmobiling" isn't even an option to choose, so I guess I'm an "ATV'er" right now. :(

Anyway, I'll do some searching, apparently I didn't post the first time, but who knows...so far, I'm not regretting my decision on the Rino, but know I'll have to spend a ton of time to figure the transition out. There are options to download snowmobile trails right into the Garmin and maybe I'll go that route, but I have a lot of side trail info around our camp, etc.

Thanks,

Cravenfan (PS - Can't figure out how to change my profile name either...uggg!)
  • I have no knowledge of BaseCamp whatsover. What I would try is to import recorded tracks in either GPX or KML format to Google Earth for indefinite safekeeping.
  • When, when, when will I learn to copy my reply before attempting to post. Just got another "you do not have permission to post" message...

For some reason, I am having trouble replying to this particular thread.

You won't be able to convert the maps. I don't know enough about Basecamp to know how you get the maps that are preloaded on your GPSr into Basecamp.

You can import the waypoints and tracks stored on your PN-40 (as .gpx files) into Basecamp. If you have routes, I don't know of any way to move them.
  • Former Member
    Snow routing on the Delorme devices, if any, was typically created in the Delorme trail vector layer. Garmin has no comparable feature in Basecamp or devices. Delorme Trail route points may however be exported in gpx format under the Topo 8,9,10 route tab. Same with road routes up to 100 points. Late model Garmin/Nuvi devices with trip planner do a great job of importing Delorme routes directly. Running routes through Basecamp may give curious results, as waypoints and route points may get confused, etc.

Other Garmin off road handheld devices and maps may or may not even support road routing, and I have not yet ventured into handheld device road routing due to lack of proper maps, which are not necessarily free from 3rd party sources or Garmin.

Good luck.

Correction: Upon further review I now am aware that Garmin Oregon 600 an Garmin 64S devices do support Trail as well as Track routing in certain Routing configurations, such as Hiking, Cycling and ATV. Please be aware of the differing Avoidances options in various routing modes.
  • Former Member
    Anyway, I'll do some searching, apparently I didn't post the first time, but who knows...so far, I'm not regretting my decision on the Rino, but know I'll have to spend a ton of time to figure the transition out. There are options to download snowmobile trails right into the Garmin and maybe I'll go that route, but I have a lot of side trail info around our camp, etc.

Perhaps we former Delorme users should forget the concept of working with and reworking vectorized trails, and perhaps roads as well. For handheld GPS use (including the Delorme/Garmin Inreach), track point files may be imported and followed, but the Nuvi/Drive devices do not even permit track file import as far a I know.

Edit: This comment is for the eyes of former Delorme users only, as we are not supposed to discuss Garmin handheld devices on these fora. I finally have both a Garmin 64S and an Oregon 600 for review and am able to understand the Base Camp Road/Trail routing avoidance options and filtering. It does make sense, so I would suggest that new purchasers of Garmin handhelds buy these models or better/(newer) to be able to use all routing options off road. Good luck.

Edit2: @ Cravenfan: Just did some clickin' from Delorme Topo9 trail routing to Delorme gpx track to Basecamp to B/C trail route to Oregon 600. ATV mode routing did not work due to 50 point road routing limit, but Direct Hiking mode did work. When I got to Mt Washington in NH (where I had created the trail route in Topo 9) I found that the Oregon 600 device already had red route lines from the Appalachian trail and other connector trails. Hmm. I must have downloaded those tracks from someplace, thinking they were only for California. Have fun.
  • Not a forum person but need help

Just moseyed on over here from the old forum to Garmin country.

Any DL community posters lurking?

I found my way here! Good to see some familiar names. Story: I had a PN-60 that I sold. I recently got lost in the woods and decided to get a used PN -40 on EBay. I thought I had my old Topo 9 software on my Win Vista notebook but guess I had deleted it. I tried to restore from back up but no....won't work. The PN -40 had no Topo software. I now know there is zero support.....links to old Topo software dead ends! I have maps on SD card. There is a couple of Topo 10 on EBay for $75. Ouch! I think I could up date firmware its 2.5 and I think the Topo 8 would work now on it and Topo 9 needs newer firmware? I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of either Topo 8 or Topo 9 I could buy or borrow?
    Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot to post here! Chris