This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrating from old Delorme Forum

Just moseyed on over here from the old forum to Garmin country.

Any DL community posters lurking?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot to post here! Chris

Sorry, but you lost me at mac ...dressage on Cinco de Mayo day!
  • I finally found my way here. I need some help dusting off my old brain cells.
    I moved my pn-60 and Topo 10 to an HP laptop. I cant get the PN-60 to connect to the laptop. Is there a driver that I need to load on Windows 10?
    I tried different USB ports to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Must be old home week. I was just trying to load some maps into a Garmin 64s and figure out that device.

My PN-40 began to sync on the third plugin with Win 10/Topo9, after a couple of rejections by the operating system. Try cleaning the cable pins and be sure external USB power switch is ON. Good luck.

• I was trying to sync some geocaching Pocket Queries into my PN-40 the other day with my W10 laptop hosting Topo 10 and had a lot of trouble in establishing and maintaining connectivity. I then plugged my laptop into the home AC and all went well. I guess that the laptop's internal batteries could not deliver sufficiently.

(Good to see hear from 39_Steps again!)
  • Good to hear from yoou too slim.
    I have my laptop plugged into a docking station (house AC).I get the GPS Sync dialogue screen, but it runs for a long time and comes up with "No GPS or SD Card connected". I get the same message on both the PN-40 and PN-60.I cleaned contacts on the PN's and end of cable.
    I guess I will scrounge through my junk and see if I have another cable.. I know Topo 10 "sees" the PN's, It just doesn't read it.

My old HP desktop bit the dust. I guess I could try to resurrect it.

Any advice is appreciated.
  • Good to hear from you, nsew!

Shouldn't need drivers. It's either the standard USB mass storage device or a standard HID device. Both of which should be present.

I'd be suspicious of the cable. Depending on what you want to move, where it's stored (internal memory or SD card), and (for the PN-40) the f/w version, you might have better luck copying the .gpx files directly with Windows Explorer. In my experience, the USB mass storage mode is more resilient in the presence of cable or USB port problems than the old DELBIN protocol. You can do it this way for waypoints, tracks and maps, but not for routes.

If it's on the SD card, you can also remove the card from the PN and put it in a card reader. Then use Windows Explorer from there.

Older versions of the PN-40 f/w (I no longer remember the cutoff) do not store anything in .gpx files. If you're that far back, sync is your only option.

You can also try the usual variations on the connection sequence - you know the drill. Plug the device in powered off, power it up before/after starting TNA. Plug it in powered up before/after starting TNA. Try switching connection modes ("use GPS" vs USB disk) while connected with TNA running. And so forth. IIRC, you do need to be in use GPS mode to sync. Don't recall if TNA will try to change the mode if you're not.

You can also try something like GPS Babel. But I doubt that it's going to give better results than the native implementation in TNA.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    I muddied the waters by mentioning the PN-40, as my PN-60 got lost on the side of a mountain somewhere. The PN-60 is susceptible to route corruption, so if routes are expendable, go into the device and delete them all. Pull the SD card and retrieve whatever data is practical from device permanent memory. . Good luck. Over and out on this thread.
  • Good to see nsew! With Topo 10's Draw tab active, I click on the Export... button and then export the subject Pocket Query, or other waypoint file, to desktop. With the PN-40's SD card connected, I drag 'n' drop copy to the waypoints folder of that card. I do the same for my PN-60.
  • The problem is with my HP laptop. I found another cable. No luck. Resurected my old desktop and reloaded Topo 10. Both PN's connected fine and GPS Sync dialogue worked fine. Thanks for the assist.
    I tried fresh install of Topo on the laptop with some odd results when I tried GPS Sync.

Is it possible to use the old green or blue InReach on a occasional basis?
    Do the test InReachs still work?
  • Well I'll be darned, I got an email from Garmin and nsew the other day.
    I thought it was Spam.
    Then I realized it was you guys.

How the heck are all you doing

nsew, Slim and twolpert ?

I'm going to make a giant navigational leap forward and assume that you fine gentlemen found your houses OK without your Topo and PN's. ;)

I sure hope some satellite product didn't automatically ping your contacts if you didn't check in on time. And unwanted Track you.

27 times gloriously bewildered in the lower 48 "wilderness" I have been.

I might have been a bit confused for a few days , but I have never been lost.

Never forget that the people that built all these USA trails that you travel upon weren't worrying about hikers caring smart phones & gpsrs.