Map update slows down maps

I updated the maps on my Garmin Fenix 5s plus yesterday. When I toggled the options to look at the map the screen was blank and it took the map a long time to load.  the scroll and zoom features are also adversely affected.  Is there a simple solution to solve this issue? 

• I reinstalled the map without deleting In Garmin express then I did a hard restart.  (held power button for 30 seconds).  That seemed to fix the issue at least for now.  If you are having problems try deleting old activities in the watches activity folder.  

• Yesterday I tried deleting all activities and reinstalling the map... This time the map was slow all the time and not only after a rebot or hard restart.

I was able to restore the previous comportment (map working correctly as long I I don't reboot the watch) by manually removing the maps from the watch and from the cache folder on my computer then reinstalling. There's definitely something random about this and I really hate it.

Please Garmin add some debug to pinpoint the problem and solve it once and for all

Antoine

• After updating the maps to 2020.20, I had exactly the same problem as most users who updated the maps! The maps took an incredibly long time to start when the watch started. And when you run the maps in the watch, the dial was very white for a long time without maps! So I did a downgrade again to the older 2020.10 maps. And now I have everything again o.k.

• "most users who updated the maps"

Where does  this  information  come from? Do you have access to Garmins statistics? I think if more users  would have issues there would be more in this forum. 2020.20 works as fast as all versions before on my watch and the update was done in a few minutes. Maybe some settings on your computer influenced the update?

• I don't know, but I also had previous map updates without any problems. But it wasn't until this 2020.20 update that I had a terrible problem! However, after the downgrade to 2020.10, the map and watch are again as fast as before the upgrade. And from those few posts, it seems to me that there are enough of those problems. But that's a matter of opinion. However, now I am satisfied again.

• I had the same problem (mentioned on another thread here a few weeks ago). Maps were slow to display for the first time in an area, and the watch was very slow to reboot (several minutes).

Reloaded the Maps again using Explore on Windows and it fixed the issue and has worked perfectly since.

• Reloaded the Maps again using Explore on Windows

And how is it done? I've never done that before, I don't know how!

1. Edit 1: I'll try again if it doesn't help to upload maps in the same way as I did the 2020.10 downgrade! I won't upload 2020.20 via Garmin Express, but I'll just copy the map file from the PC straight to the watch folder and see if it gets better!

Edit 2: I wouldn't believe it, but it really helped! After copying maps directly from the PC to the watch without using Garmin Express, the map and watch work again normally and quickly even with the new version of maps 2020.20!

Edit 3: Thx docnetau, I don't know if you meant the way I just did. But anyway, did you lead me to this experiment, which really helped me a lot ?! Once again Thx

• Not sure if this is a factor, but I noticed lots more detail on the new maps, and set "Detail" to "Less". Now they are as speedy as they were earlier. I never looked at that setting before, and suspect it has been on "Less" until the update changed it to "Normal".  

• I’ve always had mine on normal but did test the less option and still the same issue. Garmin are now replacing my watch 

• Anyone else has noticed incorrect elevation data? I can't calibrate the altimeter using DEM to a negative altitude anymore. And I'm pretty sure the lowlands didn't elevate themselves to above sea level overnight.