pace target data screen showing not actual pace

Hi, 

I was going for a 5k coach long run workout recently, with a pace target for 30min.

Towards the end of the 30min it happend that the pace target data screen was showing me 5:38min/km (target: 5:19-5:57). As I wanted to push a little, I tried to accelerate, but the screen was data screen was still showing sth in the 5:30 range. When my breathing rhythm changed and I was feeling tired, I thought sth must be wrong, so I changed to another data screen (single run data field). I was pretty surprised seeing that I was going actually at 5:08, which explained my heavy breathing & high heart rate.

Switching back to the pace target screen, it showed still sth in the 5:30 range.

It seems the pace target screen is showing the average pace of this step, but not the current pace. Could anyone confirm? 

I went running again with a manually set up pace target abd the behaviour of the data screen was the same. 

@Garmin: this makes no sense at all. The target pace needs to be an indicator if I need to go faster or slow down. The avg pace of the current step might be an interesting number as well but much less important than the current pace. 

• I just went for a paced workout with my F5+ and my old Polar M400. The instant pace they are giving was pretty much the same (+/-5s) all the time, so far so good.

What is shown on the workout screen differs a lot though. The F5+ shows (probably) the step pace, i.e. it will change slower the longer the step/interval. For a 10min step, what the watch shows at the end has not much to do with the instant pace.

The Polar M400 on the other side shows the instant pace. Downside of the latter: for the Polar, I was often "out of the target zone" as the pace range was only 10s, so with the general (im)precision of the GPS-based pace, this was the result.

Still, for me, Polar's approach makes much more sense.

• I created a poll to find out what Garmin users would like to see on their pace-based workout screen. As (as far as I see) it is the same for all Garmin devices, but there is no common "Garmin watches software forum" I created it in the Forerunner 945 forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/197097/survey-for-using-instant-vs-step-pace-on-the-workout-screen

Thank you for participating! :-)

• Appreciate this is an old thread, but I’m glad I found it as I’ve been a bit confused during my garmin coach half marathon plan. 
    the watch often beeps to say I’m going too fast (generally) but when I look at my other days screen the pace is much lower. Similarly, while looking at the normal pace field which is in a good place, I get warnings flashing up saying my pace is too fast. 
    I’m relatively new to running and garmin watches (not garmin devices) and have to say its very confusing and makes it hard to get the pace right. 
    mum learning to just go with a feel and make changes slowly rather than chase numbers. Easier on long runs but not so easy on short high intended type stuff. Generally I keep the Carlin coach pace on the high side and it seems to average out ok in the end. 
    life’s too short to work out why - easier to just try and work around it. 

I’m using F6 Pro.