Hard reset, firmware reinstall, data location and backup!

To help some newer users I put together some info about dealing with problems. It is an updated post from Fenix 3 forum:

DATA BACKUP: It is wise to backup the whole /GARMIN directory of your watch before doing anything else, as some of the files (maps for example) will not be restored from the FW file or by Garmin Express if they get corrupted or erased!

Switch off(if hanged): hold LIGHT button for at least 25 seconds

Hard reset (for clearing problems with corrupted data, garmin logo loop, missing activities etc)
1. Power off the fenix 5 and wait for couple seconds
2. Press and release the Power button
3. Once the Garmin Logo appears Press and hold the Start and Back buttons.
4. When you hear the first beep (after couple seconds) let the Start (upper right) button go
5. When you hear the second beep (couple seconds after first beep) let the back (lower right) button go
6. The device will boot back up and you will be prompted to enter your profile information. You will have to reconfigure the watch, reload apps, watchfaces etc..

WARNING: It clears ALL user made settings, apps, watch faces, data fields, current activities, totals etc!

TIP: If you want to do a TOTAL hard reset when suspecting data corruption you can erase MOST data from the watch (on Fenix+ you cannot - at least at this moment - erase all the directories from /GARMIN folder, some remain, also there is no way to FORMAT it like on earlier models)
After disconnecting the watch from you PC it will take relatively longer to restart but it will rebuild the data structure from backup (some user data will be also restored but NOT ALL, for example map files need to be manually uploaded from the backup).

TIP: If you are left with only English language after hard reset or formatting the watch then, you have to download other language files through Webupdater/Garmin Express or load them into the /TEXT

IMPORTANT DATA location and restore
based on https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?fa...PZ6PboXu5Nf7d6 mentioned in fin.pimlico post below

LOCATION- contains Locations.fit file that stores saved locations
RECORDS- contains Records.fit file that stores personal records you have achieved
SETTINGS – contains Settings.fit file which stores user profile and certain device settings (it certainly saves settings for watchface, time, backlight, sound, GPS, GLONASS, etc)
SPORTS – contains each activity app as a separate file (I RECOMMEND REINSTALLING THE APPS AFTER HARD RESET AS SOMETIMES THEY GET CORRUPTED AFTER RECOVER)
TOTALS – contains Totals.fit file which stores device totals for time and distance
MLTSPORT - multiactivity file setting like Triathlon - omitted by Garmin in the description (AS STATED ABOVE I RECOMMEND REINSTALLING THE APPS)

If you want to RESTORE some of these files after hard reset you need to put them to a folder called:\ GARMIN\NEWFILES the watch does the rest
! NEWFILES is a hidden folder so you have to switch on visibility of hidden files/folders in your OS
! Note that you should ONLY copy files from backup folders, don't create subolders in NEWFILES folder
! I have not tested yet if you can restore all the data listed above, some things like restoring VO2Max did not work on earlier watches!

MAP FILE LOCATION

To check which maps are installed
Settings->Activities&Apps->Map->Map Settings->Map->Configure Maps.. there you can choose which maps from the watch you want to use for the Map activity.
In my watch it shows:

- Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR
- TopoActive Europe East 2019.10
- TopoActive Europe West 2019.10

The actual files in the /GARMIN directory (european version) - make a BACKUP from your watch
gmapbmap.img - 46,8 MB - the worldwide base map
gmapdem.img - 919 MB - worldwide DEM data (Digital Elevation Model)
gmapprom.img - 2,09 GB - TopoActive Europe map (part 1)
gmapprom1.img - 3,78 GB - TopoActive Europe map (part 2) NOW IT SHOWS IN MY WATCH AS: D6185060B.img
gmapsup1.img (also 2 and 3) - the golf course files

If anyone erased the maps from the watch you can download it from here (Topo Europe Maps):
http://www.mediafire.com/?1pvmhbx0cq3ou
Also remember you can use freeware maps - *.img file should be put in /GARMIN directory

Force firmware reinstall
As it seems to be (second to 'master reset') the marvellous cure to all problems (at least from Garmin's support point of view :D ) this is how you do it:
1. You have to download Garmin's Webupdater which is located here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=999-99999-27
2. Install the app, connect your watch, run the app
3. Click to the point where it says you have the newest firmware and asks if you want to reinstall it
4. Reinstall it (it will download to the watch), disconnect the watch and then choose yes when it asks you to install the update.

Firmware downgrade
Since the first BETA’s we always have the ‘system backdate file’ (gupdate.gcd) which you can load into /GARMIN directory to downgrade the firmware.
You can also try to download older firmware from this LINK
WARNING: I had a problem after trying to downgrade from firmware 4.xx (don't remember exactly which I had then) to 3.1.. after downgrade the watch was not recognized by Windows and nothing helped until a week later it OTA updated at night to firmware 5.0 which fixed the problem. So downgrade to last official firmware is perfectly safe, going further back seems to be risky.

Bluetooth connect procedure
Probably most of you know it but if someone missed it, remember that if you want to connect/reconnect the watch to the phone you have to do it through the Garmin Connect App - NOT through the BT device menu!

If you need to reconnect, erase the watch both in Garmin Connect App and in the BT device menu in phone, then try the connection procedure all over again.

ANYONE HAS SOME OTHER IMPORTANT INFO TO ADD, WRITE BELOW AND I WILL UPDATE IT!

• Can you reupload the link where all the firmwares are? I'm looking for perform a downgrade 

Thanks 

• The 2019 maps seem to be device locked now.

• :-(

garmin don’t support me and now I haven’t the latest version

(sorry for my english)

• Hello and thank you so much for the maps, because I had big problems with my Fenix 5X plus and you solved them all!!! Do you have the updated version of Topo Europe please? 

• There's a problem in editing the main post as it get's marked as spam every time I try to do it, and I have to write to Admin's to unlock it, so couple new ideas below.

I am currently on Fenix 5+ beta software and connected to iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13.2.2

I have NO problems with BT connection/reconnection but I did experience some while ago.  

My advice for those who have problems with the watch after software upgrade (battery, missing watchfaces or activities etc.):

1. Do a hard reset as described in the main post.. (you lose settings and some data, but most activity data can be retransfered through garmin connect mobile, the settings you have to redo)... if it doesn't help:

2. Try reinstalling current software through WebUpdater

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27

3. If the software does not reinstall do following:

- if you are on current official firmware (9.10 atm) ---> use the beta firmware (9.72 atm) then after restart use the system backdate 9.10 file from beta package to reinstall (it will automatically do a hard reset)

- if you are on beta firmware, just use the backdate file, if it works ok after that you can try to reinstall the beta firmware

If you have CONNECTION problems (based on iOS as I don't have an Android phone) in addition to the above:

1. Uninstall ALL Garmin software from the phone (Connect, Connect IQ, Explore)

2. Remove the watch from Bluetooth connections

3. Restart the phone and try to 'clean' software remains using some iOS or external app (I use IOTransfer on PC, but I don't know if freeware version can clean the phone memory) - you can also zero the phone settings, but it will 'clean' many other things and you will have much more to do

4. Reinstall JUST the Garmin Connect mobile app.

5. Try to connect the watch and see if the connection works ok... if yes you can try to reinstall the other apps Slight smile

This helped my connection problems, and it seems that Garmin Connect IQ was messing things up after iOS 13 update, after re installing it works fine also.

If BATTERY problems persist ... well only warranty claim left

• Hello all ,

I need still some help.

I cant figure which files to remove/backup from  Tactix Charlie maps related to US ,I don't need them and they consuming a lot of space so the maps and files I want to remove and store on my PC for later use (if ever) are  as follows:

-Map Top Active Americas 2019.20

-Map Coverage of Pacific 5.10

-Map Coverage of North and South America 6.0

I have also on my TactixC Topo Active Europe which I would like to keep.

The Topo Active Europe I did buy additionally so it is available on the garmin cloud however as my TactixC is US version it came with US Topo and Coverage maps pre-installed as default  .
    Can someone point me out to the exact filenames and extensions I need to remove from TactixC and store on my PC related to this US maps ?

Thank you !

• To start with, it's best to make a copy of the entire \ GARMIN directory
    Maps are * .img files in the \ GARMIN directory (with complementary files under the same name and with a different extension)

You should certainly keep:
    gmapbmap.img - the worldwide base map
    gmapdem.img - worldwide DEM data (Digital Elevation Model)
    gmaptz.img - time zones map

The 'Coverage of..' maps are files: gmapsup1.img, gmapsup2.img etc.. and are the golf course maps (you can delete them if you don't play golf)

Problem starts with naming of the Topo Active maps, at this moment in my watch:
    gmapprom.img - is the TopoActive Europe 2019.20 North East map
    d6185070a.img - is the TopoActive Eruope 2019.20 South West map

One of the ways to check it is installing Garmin's BASECAMP on PC, when you connect the watch it downloads the watch maps so you can plan your routes.

When you click on the map name in the left panel window you will see the file name in the window below it.

• Excellent, never thought of Basecamp will do that to identify the maps file names. 

Thank you!!!