Montana 700 problems in motorcycling

One year old product with the mc holder.

From the beginning I've had issues in charging the battery and occasionally shutting down. Now the problems are taking place more often, almost aa the time. I've tried to read the forum but seems that there are no permanent solutions? Or am I wrong?

• I see. I'll contact them by phone. Thanks!

• A little update:

I contacted them by chat (not phone) and after some questions, I mentioned the spare kit and they sent me the email with the info to send me that kit. Hope this solves the problem!

• Hello, We have recognized that there are potentially different scenarios causing the Montana devices to shut down. Regarding addressing them in forums we have to take each one case by case as they are not all exactly the same though some are. Regarding the shut down problems coming from the mount, yes, we do believe this has been resolved. In either case if you are seeing an issue with your Montana 700 series device shutting down and have not contacted support yet we would ask that you please do so we can look further into the problem and try to resolve it for you. Click the link to contact Product Support for assistance with your device. 

• Mogu,

That spare kit has better vibration dampers for the cradle. I got the kit and found out thay my faulty one had already those ”better” vibration dampers. So no help there!

This is a desingn flaw which Garmin can’t solve! Thanks a lot Garmin!

Shutting down problem has not been solved otherwise than I’ll get a new Montana 700. Which will have some similar problems in the future I assume! Thanks for that too, Garmin! 

I’m totally pissed for their ”product support”! They can’t solve these problems!

• It is not resolved, what ever you believe!

I just got the the resolving vibration kit and found out thay my faulty one had already those ”better” vibration dampers. So no help there!

This is a desingn flaw which Garmin can’t solve! Thanks a lot Garmin!

• Garmin's answer is to send me a new device. Which is no solution for the problem.

So: I contacted the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authoritis and sent a claim according to their quidance to Garmin and their reseller and demanded that the deal be cancelled and my money back.

Let's see what happens...

• Finally I got some answers: I will get my money back of Montana 700, cradle and the maps I bought.

• I've contacted support twice...   both times my 700i was RMA'd.    I have now had three different 700i units and all three exhibit the same issues.   The most recent one did it straight out of the box within hours of receiving it...  never even left the house with it.   The problem is NOT being solved with replacements.     I am out $700 and the cost of AMPS mounts for a device that is not reliable and not fit for the purpose it is advertised.    When is Garmin going to do something to address the actual problem instead of just wasting our and their time with pointless RMAs?    

I see some folks are getting 750i units instead...   do these not exhibit the problems?

• AFAIK, the 750i has the same problems as the 700i. That includes issues with the mount and issues with random crashes not involving the mount.

Somebody on one of these threads claims that Garmin has discontinued the 700i, so it is filling RMAs with 750i's. I have no way to verify the RMA claim. However, I can still buy both the 750i and the 700i on the Garmin web site in the US. It might be that Garmin is selling out existing inventory - no way to tell that, either.