contact synchronization

Hello everyone,
it becomes very complicated at Garmin to "simply be able to" use an Inreach device, with the purchase of my Montana 700, I could send messages without having to synchronize certain contacts with my S23Ultra, all I had to do in the "Inreach" widget was to type " new message" and enter the number or email address of the correspondent, but since an update of my Montana, in the "new message" section only the list of messages synchronized with my S23 Ultra appears, problem, if I lends my Inreach with a loved one and they do not have the Messenger or Explore application, they will not be able to send messages from my Montana,
too bad that for outdoor devices you still have to use your phone to “simply” send a message,
and what's more, you need Explore, Messenger,
if you go hiking, you must either have synchronized important contacts with your Montana, or not be able to send messages to a new contact,
we therefore have to bring a phone for contact synchronization, too bad...

Top Replies

All Replies

• this is what I explained in several messages, I use my 700 well WITH my Inreach 2, the 700 transfers messages to the Mini which sends them, just like I can use Messenger on my S23 to transfer to Mini 2 which will then send them, my problem is not knowing which device sends them but how to write them...

• I have been unable to find any evidence suggesting it was ever possible to manually enter a message contact via inReach Remote. So far as I can find, after researching multiple devices, is that it has only ever been possible to manually enter a message contact on the inReach device itself.

• Hello I understand you do not have an inReach version of the Montana so I can only imagine you are using the inReach Remote feature between the 700 and your inReach mini 2? Then the issue comes down to lending your mini 2 to a friend or family member. In this case on the phone the best way to lend the inReach device is to have the borrower use the explore mobile app in guest mode Garmin Explore App Guest Device. I would also recommend seeing Lending an inReach Mini 2 Device

• Regarding the inReach remote feature you cannot manually type in contacts you can only type or select a message and then select a pre-existing contact already associated and added. 

• Hello everyone,
    it's getting a little complicated, I think I'm going to find a small, not too expensive phone and install a few basic Garmin applications on it, this phone will only serve as a link with an Inreach, that way I won't have to lend my phone and change modes, but it's a shame that it's no longer as simple at Garmin, it was fine before and all of a sudden, they add Messenger, Explore, not to mention Connect for connected watches, since you can't no longer do without a smartphone, Garmin could perhaps make a single application to manage everything?

• yes but before Garmin updated the Montana 700, I could, from the M700 screen, send a message to a new contact that I did not have in the list of those synchronized with Explore, I finally contacted Garmin and they told me that "from now on" a smartphone will be necessary to synchronize contacts with the Mini 2, I will still be able to use the Montana to send messages to contacts, but "only" if they have been synchronized since the smartphone, it can always be useful to me so as not to have to use my smartphone and risk breaking it in the event of a fall, the M700 is less risky...