contact synchronization

Hello everyone,
it becomes very complicated at Garmin to "simply be able to" use an Inreach device, with the purchase of my Montana 700, I could send messages without having to synchronize certain contacts with my S23Ultra, all I had to do in the "Inreach" widget was to type " new message" and enter the number or email address of the correspondent, but since an update of my Montana, in the "new message" section only the list of messages synchronized with my S23 Ultra appears, problem, if I lends my Inreach with a loved one and they do not have the Messenger or Explore application, they will not be able to send messages from my Montana,
too bad that for outdoor devices you still have to use your phone to “simply” send a message,
and what's more, you need Explore, Messenger,
if you go hiking, you must either have synchronized important contacts with your Montana, or not be able to send messages to a new contact,
we therefore have to bring a phone for contact synchronization, too bad...

Top Replies

All Replies

• I don't think I understand the question.

Without involving ANY Garmin mobile app, it is very easy to send an individually addressed message directly from the 7x0i. Except for check-in (fka preset) messages, you ALWAYS have the option of EITHER selecting a contact known to the device (an address you previously synchronized) OR you can select "Type Recipients" to enter addresses manually. You can even combine the two by selecting known contact(s) then typing additional addresses.

I suspect you can do the same thing from a compatible Garmin mobile app. But that's not always a foregone conclusion.

The advantage to using synchronized contacts is that the "contact address" takes up very little space in the message. Leaving more room for text before you hit the length limit. OTOH, if the synchronization is not up to date, the message might go to the wrong party. Or it might not be delivered at all.

The most easily understood way to set up contacts is on the Contacts tab at explore.garmin.com. EVERY time you make ANY change there, re-synchronize. The way you do the sync depends on the device.

I assume you can also set up contacts from at least some of the Garmin mobile apps which work with your device. Personally, I stay as far away from the mobile apps as possible.

And I never, ever allow any of them to access the contacts (phone book) on my phone.

• Hello everyone,
    thank you for the answer, but I do not have a 700i or 750 but a 700, before updates were made on my Montana 700, I could use this one without having to synchronize it with a smartphone, in the location "send a message", I could directly enter the number of my correspondent or email address, now you must have synchronized the Montana 700 with a smartphone to have the telephone number or email address in the M700,
    if I want to lend my M700 and the Inreach Mini 2 to relatives, I will have to start the synchronization procedure again with the M700 and the Inreach M2 with their phone to have access to the contacts, and also that they have installed Explore and Messenger , not easy...BEFORE it was possible to be able to do without your smartphone, not anymore, if I use the Mini 2, it's certainly because I don't have a network where I'm going, simply have the Montana 700 and the Inreach 2 was simpler.
    and Garmin should merge Explore and Messenger, that would be better, Explore, Messenger, Connect, you need applications, it becomes less easy to use, Earthmate was simpler, everything in a single application.

• There are no English language forums for non-inReach handheld devices. You can try the German-language forums. Or the GPS-related Groundspeak (geocaching) forums. You can also check out GPSrChive.com and the related forums.

Other than that, your only recourse is to open a support ticket.

Note that the lack of English-language handheld forums is Garmin's policy. Nobody knows why. Everybody complains. But it's not likely to change.

I do not have a 700. Messaging is going to be different for a non-inReach device. Sorry for the confusion.

• not a big deal, I was just looking for some information in case someone had an idea to submit to me,
    I'm going to look at the German forums, there's no real assistance, I've already contacted Garmin but they don't have many answers, other than "since it works like that, there's nothing we can do about it".. .

• with the purchase of my Montana 700, I could send messages without having to synchronize certain contacts with my S23Ultra, all I had to do in the "Inreach" widget was to type " new message"

This does not agree with:

I do not have a 700i or 750 but a 700,

Only the Montana 700i and 750i can send inReach Messages. The Montana 700 does not have this feature.

• M2 and MESSenger app are tangled up in here someplace Slight smile

• Hello everyone,
    sorry to contradict you, but a 700 can very well send Inreach messages, only by synchronizing it with Mini 2, Messenger, I still have this widget which allowed me to connect to my Mini 1 and then the Mini 2, once synchronized via Bluetooth, by opening the "Inreach remote control" widget, I access the "messages" page, once this page is open, with "send a predefined message" and "new message" and it is in this part that I can no longer send a message to a correspondent who has not been synchronized with a smartphone and Explore, which I find a shame to be forced to carry a phone whereas before an update made by Garmin, I could directly type a new number or email address, now it opens the page where I have my contacts synchronized, no way to put a new one that is not in the list.

• A. The Montana 700 can NOT send inReach Messages. This model does not have an inReach radio or antenna.

B. It appears you may be using an inReach MINI 2 paired to your Montana 700 via inReach Remote to send messages. In this scenario, the inReach MINI 2 is doing all the heavy lifting. The Montana 700 is simply a remote interface for the MINI 2.

C. There is a terminology breakdown here. Widgets can only be accessed from the Status page on the Montana 7x0 series, and can only be installed via Connect IQ.  inReach Remote is not a widget.

D. When composing messages via inReach Remote, the contacts available on the connected inReach device will be available. If you are not seeing contacts you expect to be available, you may need to perform a SYNC between the inReach device and Garmin Explore (web) to update your contact list. For the MINI 2, this can be accomplished via the Garmin Explore or Messenger apps. The original MINI can be synced via the Earthmate app or inReach SYNC Desktop app.