Bluetooth Connection Issue

I've read what I can find on here about this issue, but no one seems to have quite the same problem I have.  However, if I've missed it please point it out to me.

I have a new Montana 750i and I'm trying to use either my Sony radio or UE Roll speaker to provide turn-by-turn guidance and am getting mixed results.  The Montana owner's manual says "Your device can send audio navigation prompts to a Bluetooth enabled wireless headset", so it should be possible.

Pairing works in both cases, but here's what is happening when I try to use it:

• UE Roll: The Montana connects for 10 seconds and then the connection is dropped, which is not enough time for me to get the Montana to give me guidance so I don't ever get any audio

• Sony: Apparently the Sony is more forgiving as the connection appears to stay up for quite a while, but the first two syllables of guidance are lost.  For instance, instead of "Continue on..." I get "you on...".  Or for "In 1 & 1/2 miles..." I get "1/2 miles...".

I'm guessing that the Montana doesn't keep the BT connection active and that the UE Roll drops it very quickly.  But the Sony usually, although not always, re-connects when the guidance comes through, although it takes too long to make the connection so the first bit of the guidance is lost.

Have others had this problem?  Have there been any resolutions found?  It looks to me like a flaw in the Montana and I'm wondering if I should return it?

• How do I determine that?  Here are the maps I have:

• City Navigator North America
    • Garmin Public Land Map
    • Global Map
    • TopoActive Americas Central
    • TopoActive Americas North

I'm assuming I'll be using the latter one for trails.  I'm totally new to this and have seen that the map does have the trails I've done in Colorado near Ouray, but haven't tried to map a route in Arkansas, where I'm going next. 

So, does that map have routing info?  Do I need another?  Sorry, I'm lost.

• Here is how you test that:

1. Enable only the map you want to test (TopoActive in this case)

2. Select a point somewhere along one of the trail systems you want to test

3. Select 'Go' and use 'Pedestrian Walking' or 'Hiking' for the routing method

• Well, I guess I'll show my ignorance.  (This really hurts as I'm thought to be a guru on certain Ford trucks.)  I don't really know how to enable only one map.  I connected the 750i to my laptop and enabled the TopoActive Americas Central map, created a hiking route in my neighborhood, and transferred it to the 750i.  Then I fired up the 750i and told it to go, wherein I got a prompt to navigate to the start of the route.

At first blush that would seem to say the map has prompts, but I'm not sure that only that one map is enabled on the Garmin.  And even if it is might that map have guidance in cities and not trails?

I'm sorry to be dense.  And I really have empathy on people who come to my forum on Bullnose trucks and don't know up from down.  Worried

• Ok, I think I figured it out and disabled the other maps.  So now I'll go see...

• And, it works!  I turned off all but the one TopoActive map and set up a route.  Then I paired my 750i with my 3M Worktunes headphones via BT and took a stroll through the neighborhood.  Sure enough, I got turn-by-turn guidance - although at the end of the guidance the headphones added "Call terminated".

Anyway, I think that means I can use that map with an audio cable from a mount.  Right?

As for checking my PM, how do I do that?  (I really feel dense as I run a forum with 1500 members, but haven't figured this one out.)

• If you have received a PM, there will be a count badge showing on cartoon dialog balloon in the upper right corner of the page. Click there to access your messages.

• Sorry, I should have replied here.  I had PM's set to friends, which is apparently the default, but I have no friends as I'm a newbie.  So I set it to everyone and PM'd Atlas.  Got a PM back and we conversed in the background.

But thanks.