Can anyone tell me if any of the map programs show old or active mining sites?

I just got the 750i and would like to use it in the desert southwest for exploring. I have the SW Topo pack but I don’t see any symbology for mines.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks.

Don.

• Your best bet in the US is to access the historical USGS topo collection. I personally use the GeoPDF format. I haven't done it in a while, but you can convert selected areas into Garmin "custom" maps which work on Garmin handhelds, including the 7x0i.

Start here to get the GeoPDFs: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/

For a given quad, there will be several historical versions available. Depending on what you are looking for, the latest available version might be fine. But older versions may show things that no longer appear on more current versions.

You will probably also want the TerraGo GeoPDF toolbar, which is free. This is an add-in to the PDF reader, which makes it easier to do things with GeoPDFs. Download it from here.

https://terragotech.com/products/geopdf/

I have never done this for mines. But I have used it to find historical cemeteries on public lands.

If you are only interested in a few points, you may not need to create the custom map for use on the device. Instead, you can use the TerraGo tools to pinpoint the coordinates of the locations in which you are interested. Then put those in as waypoints. If you do it that way, do not be confused by the datum. The MAP uses NAD27 (margin ticks). The GeoPDF tools display the coordinates under the cursor in WGS84, which is what you want for waypoint coordinate entry on the device (with default settings).

Finally, if you use a compass, the declination on the historical maps is likely incorrect for the present day.

• This got me to thinking that I’ve seen a bunch of those pick and shovel crossed, mining symbols in my off-road travels. I live near the spot where California, Nevada and Arizona converge in the Colorado river, and travel up many mining roads in the mountains. I looked at my 700i just now and I see the mining symbols appear at .5 mile zoom (and closer). I have Topo 24k Southwest and West enabled and City Navigator and Worldwide Basemap in the Setup-Configure Maps list. I wanted to see if the mine symbols were just on the Topo 24k so I turned off the others. Here’s the confusing part: my layers symbol on the Map screen has these Map Sets: Imagery, Public Land, Popularity, TopoActive and CityNavigator. The mine symbols (named if you drop a pin on them) only show up if CityNavigator layer is enabled or if no layers are enabled, which seems to bring up the greatest detail for some reason. It didn’t seem to matter if Basemap and City Navigator were On or Off in Configure Maps but CityNavigator layer=green worked every time.

It may be some setting I have wrong but City Navigator would be the last map set I’d suspect had old mines marked out in the boonies.

• Gotta agree with that. I can't believe they are in CN. Using the layers button on the map screen introduces another layer of uncertainty. To be absolutely certain what you are looking at:

From map screen, tap Hamburger menu > Map Setup > Configure Maps.

Make sure that Automatic Maps is off. Nobody (except maybe the Garmin programmers) can understand exactly how this works when on. Just another source of confusion.

Now enable the map sets one at a time until you figure out where the mines live. My guess would be either the 24K topos (I do not own any of those to test), the Garmin public land maps, or the TopoActive maps. The TopoActive maps are based on OSM, so that doesn't seem very likely. And the public lands don't cover everything (never have figured out what they DO cover.) But who knows.

• "I live near the spot where California, Nevada and Arizona converge in the Colorado river, and travel up many mining roads in the mountains. "

I've been there, Bullhead City.  Used to go 4-wheelin' sightseeing around there,  However, can't recall maps that showed status of mines, although some did show mines.

• I wonder if Mohave County has a list. Some of those Arizona mines have been active since I moved here in 2013, some close and open depending on cost effectiveness I suppose. The ones I’ve seen in California, off the BLM trails, are mostly covered with steel, played out long ago.

• Yeah, Automatic Maps was off. I knew about zoom levels revealing secrets but I’ll have to play with the layers if I’m taking a close look at an area from now on.

• I updated Software to 10.8 so who knows if that changed anything. If I turn off all maps then turn the CN layer on, the mine symbols appear and the CN Map turns on in Configure Maps. If I just turn on Topo 24k Southwest, the mine symbols are there and only Imagery and Popularity layers are enabled so perhaps the mines and other POI’s reside in both??

• Everyone,

Thank you for all of your input. I’ll be playing with this gps more to try and figure it out. I have an older Rino and it was so-so. I like the 700 series and figured I’d try one to see if things were better. So far I’m liking the device. I have a lot to learn about it. 

It great to see a helpful forum with people experienced with these devices and software. 

Thanks Again. 

Don.

• Many sites offer up .gpx files for all kinds of stuff from mines, to lookout towers, to waterfalls, to airports, and so forth. Just do a search for .gpx files in your area. BTW the ones from ExpertGPS.com seem to be junk—no place names, just numbers and the trailheads I downloaded were bogus. But I have had good luck from other sites.