This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

700i constantly losing external power

Had a 700i for about 7 months mounted on my adventure bike with the rugged mount and everything has been fine until yesterday when it started showing the ‘external power lost’ message and starting the countdown, but then the map will come back shortly afterwards. It was intermittent at first, but now it happens every few seconds and so in its current state, it’s unusable. My initial thoughts were a power supply issue as in a dodgy connection, but when the bike is stationery it’s fine but if I move the unit slightly in the cradle I can replicate the issue. Im thinking a pin connection fault ? 

• The short answer to that would be no.

The first thing I checked when I noticed the pock marked brass contacts on my device, was weather the pins in the mount were free to move, thinking that if that had become stiff, rigid or unmovable, this may have contributed to the problem, but all the pins were very easy to move.

It had crossed my mind that perhaps there was an issue with the alloy composition of the brass contacts, where they may have used a softer alloy. But Im only speculating there.

So far Ive not had a problem with the replacement 700i Ive got, so Im hoping it was just a bad batch. 

• I know this is an old post but is this solution stable? 

having the same problem, it basically now rattled in the mount causing the pins to wear the connecters. so hoping this is along term solution, many thanks,

• after 1 year using this solution no more losing power neither off issues....

Also go into settings and put "use battery when external power off" so screen  will no flash repeatedly with error messages...

• It must be very tight when mounted....

• Hello and good day!

We’ve identified a fix for the problem of your Montana 7xx device shutting down randomly while inserted in a powered (AMPS or speaker) mount.

You will be receiving an email from us in the next few days that explains the fix for this problem.  If you do not receive an email from us about this topic, please contact your local support team.  Contact Garmin Support