This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Montana 700i keeps turning off

I have a Montana 700i, actually it's my third unit and second cradle. Just after I bought my new 700i I found that it would randomly turn off. Sometimes this happens after a few hours, other times less than 30 mins. The other day it turned off twice in 30 mins. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it back on. When it restarts it just picks up where it left off. The unit has spent all of it's time so far in the car cradle in the car with the USB cable plugged into the 12v socket adaptor. 

The dealer has done all they could by replacing 2 units and the cradle so I've contacted Garmin AU, but that has been a frustrating process and I haven't gotten anywhere except to learn that someone else in Australia has the same fault.

Anyone else got the same issue ?

• I have experienced the same issue with my new 700i mounted to AMPS cradle on motorcycle.  At first I thought it was due to power interruption from a dodgy temporary connection, but now it’s fitted to my new bike, the power connection is definitely solid.

Details as I can best relay them:

The unit has the latest firmware installed which I did upon first use, so cannot comment on behaviour with earlier firmware.

The unit it set to stay on in case of power loss.

I have the map screen showing, either  topo or city navigator maps, one or two saved track files are visible and I generally have a track file set as the active route.  

I have a HR monitor and iphone generally connected via Bluetooth.

The timing of shutdown seems random, sometimes within 30 minutes sometimes it takes hours.  

Occurs on both rough tracks and on smooth roads.  

Occurs on warm sunny days and cooler overcast/wet days.

It does seem far more prominent when I have InReach tracking enabled, but I cannot say for certain that it only occurs when InReach tracking is on as it may have occurred without tracking enabled.  I have noted that it occurred within 30 minutes of starting IR tracking after being fine for over 3 hours to that point when I had forgotten to enable tracking at the start of the day.  

The unit boots back up and re-engages with the GPS signal quickly with a long press of the power button every time and the active route is not lost.

This is a very frustrating “feature” in a brand new unit.

• Exactly as mine does but I'm not using InReach. And yeah, not a feature I expect after forking out just under AU$1200 for the unit on it's own.

• Unfortunately I don't know how to send a PM.

• Hover over the user name in the original post - for example, Garmin-Andrew. Choose Send Private Message from the pop-up menu.

• I’ve been working with Andrew from Garmin and I am able to replicate this consistently numerous times now. I don’t know how long it actually stays on because I’ve never seen it shut down. However the longest I’ve noticed is no more than 15 hours and as little as 2 hours. It shuts down completely and upon pushing the button, boots up from scratch. I’ve only ever noticed this issue when on USB power or in the Rugged Mount. I’ve easily run on battery overnight without it shutting down. 

I decided to test a couple more times before exchanging. This time I turned off Bluetooth and I’m now coming up on the 24 hour mark, easily the longest it has run nonstop without shutting down. I read here or elsewhere of some having crash issues with either iPhones and/or Garmin Connect. So, it might not be a hardware issue which would be better news. Fingers crossed.

A couple other points, both my iPhone and iPad have Connect and I could swear both were connected to the 700i at the same time although I don’t recall pairing the iPad intentionally. On the boat, the iPhone and iPad are always on and within Bluetooth range of the 700i. I’m going to remove Connect from the iPhone and iPad and reinstall only on the phone and see if that matters. If not then I’ll do a hard reset of the 700i. 

• Hi, I'm also working with Andrew. I've had mine shut down around the 30 min mark, and following that instance it shut down again about 45 mins after that but usually it's pretty random. I'm not sure the longest it's stayed on.

I currently don't have connect so the 700 is'n setup to connected to anything, and both BT and WIFI are off. (My WIFI password has a '^' in it - which isn't in the Garmin keyboard and I couldn't be bothered changing all my devices just to suit the Garmin.)

I haven't actually tried mine on battery for any length of time. Everytime it's turned off has been in the cradle.

Weirdly since the ticket was opened it hasn't turned off once !

• Well, there goes my hypothesis down the drain. 

• No necessarily -  There may be more than one event that is causing similar behavior. 

• Not necessarilly, (as "atlas_cached" just said too.)

• Yeah I know but, I keep dreaming for that Unified Field Theory of glitches. Slight smile