Can you use inReach Mini 2 GPS signal with Google or Apple Map?

Have another questions related to inReach 2.  I have the device linked to my phone, I can see on the Garmin app my location and track and all the functions.  My question is can I somehow use the GPS location signal from the inReach 2 in my Google or Apple map app?  Or does it only work in the Explore app?

Thanks,

• Have you both disabled on your iPhone: location services and location alerts ?

• I reinstalled Explore app, no change.  I chose "Never" in Explore app in Location Services. In Location Alerts, I turned off "Show Map in Location Alerts". No change.

• Strange. Btw: also working for my EpixPro 51mm wearable.

• I have tried various combinations of settings, but no change. It is strange, fortunately not all that important for me. I will keep playing around and will post if I figure out the problem.

• Got it. I had my wife download the Explore app on her phone, and we got the same results.

This told me it wasn't the phone, it was the 66i. I did a cold reset, which wiped out everything, but when I tested it worked!

• Ok, so bottom line, the Mini 2 can give the GPS location to the phone when using the Explore, so at least that works.  You need to down load map.

This means Mini 2 GPS will not work with the Apple or Google map for sure.  You can't download map off line for these apps, so it will not know where you are on the map.  Make sense.

• You should test that the Mini 2 will work as you expect before you depart.

• This means Mini 2 GPS will not work with the Apple or Google map for sure

Not exactly true, at least from my experience and testing - note that this is with a Mini. I'll add some more background here - more related to the OP question about Google Maps etc..  Unlike Android, IOS "hides" the location data source from apps so that apps only need to connect to the IOS location services and do not know where that data is coming from.  Connect a bluetooth GPS source to the iPhone and it will decide whether to use it or the internal source (based on assessed accuracy and who knows what else). Android allows for far more flexibility - I'm not talking about the possible direct mini to explore link that may be seen here with location services off, I'm talking about using other general apps including Google etc.  Example - I have a Garmin Glo 2 (external Bluetooth GPS) and use it for mapping or other circumstances where I want accurate tracking (as it can be situated on a vest or some other location with good sky view).  When I connect it to the iPhone, the only way I know if it is being used by the phone for location services is using one of a couple available GPS Logging apps.  Even with this, I only know because the update rate will be four times a second rather than the normal 1 (the Glo can provide a 10hz signal but an iPhone will max out at 4 - not so Android),  The problem with testing this with a Mini is that the iPhone GPS is actually very good and it is difficult to force the phone to use the mini. I just re-tested this as I had done a few years ago. With the mini just outside and getting a strong signal and the phone inside, connected through bluetooth to the mini, I run an app GPSDiagnostics (there are a number of similar apps). As expected the app is showing a number of satellites with mediocre signal strength. Go outside and the signal gets better - so safe assumption that the mini IS NOT being used. Put the phone in a metal file cabinet but still just visible and there is a transfer where the signal gets really poor then picks up again, although different type of satellite 'picture'. Assumption is that the location is now coming from the Mini. Bring the Mini in and turn it off and the iPhone signal eventually goes back to the quality seen when really poor but not yet connected to the Mini. You get the picture. Similar when using a number of mapping apps and can be sort of demonstrated with Google Maps by viewing the size of the location circle.

So, yes, the Mini can be used as the bluetooth source for Google or Apple Maps (and others) but it is unlikely that the Mini would provide a better signal than the phone and, as these apps go to the Location Services for data (not the device), you have little, if any control. If you turn off location services for any of these apps, they do not then switch to the bluetooth as they can only connect to the generic Location Servicers.  Regarding the Explorer app, I have no idea if it will get the data directly from the Mini, bypassing the location services (although I would be surprised). It is really difficult with this app to actually determine what it is doing (and a bluetooth symbol may just be indicating a connection to the device for route/waypoints syncing) - not questioning the things people are seeing, just not convinced given how tightly IOS is locked down for so many functions (and, without going out to actually text tracking with Explorer, I don't really know).

• Hello the inReach Mini 2 cannot be used to provide GPS signal to other applications on a mobile device outside of the Explore App.