Can you use inReach Mini 2 GPS signal with Google or Apple Map?

Have another questions related to inReach 2.  I have the device linked to my phone, I can see on the Garmin app my location and track and all the functions.  My question is can I somehow use the GPS location signal from the inReach 2 in my Google or Apple map app?  Or does it only work in the Explore app?

Thanks,

• You can use the Explore app with only your phone's GPS. You won't have full functionality, but you can find your way. You can't use the Mini 2 within other apps.

• ??really??

I thought when you link the Explore app to the inReach 2, the GPS signal from the inReach 2 will be used by the the app.  That was 1 of the big reasons I bought the inReach.

In case the GPS signal is not good on the phone, then I will have no GPS signal at all?

• Yes, the Explore App is only using the phone’s gps. But often the gps signal of the phone (depends on phone) is better as the gps signal of the mini 2. So if your phone gets no gps signal, the mini 2…

• I don't have a Mini 2, I have a 66i, but they should work the same. You can test for yourself...keep Mini 2 off, open Explore app on phone, and see if it tracks your location as you move. If it does, it's using the phone GPS.

Then, if you have an iPhone, go to Settings, Privacy & Security, Location Services. Within Location Services click on the Explore app, and select Never. This will remove phone GPS from the app. Bluetooth the Mini 2 to the phone and open Explore app. See if your location is tracked when you move. With me, it does not track. 

There is an odd Map Setting within Explore (click on the Map overlay symbols in upper left). Map Settings should pop up, and you will see "Prefer Device Location, While Activity Is In Progress". This suggests that the app receives the device location, but it doesn't work either when I am recording an activity, when the phone GPS is off. Someone raised this issue within the Forum, and Garmin representative could not explain.

Make sure you undo your Location Services modification, when done testing.

• Sorry, I was wrong and it is working for me for the Explore app I have set location services and location alerts on my Iphone off and my mini 2 is connected via bt with my phone. You see the bt sign on the position arrow and if I move, it moves with me. So yes, it works.

• That's interesting...I get the BT sign, but the position arrow does not move. 

• Strange. Perhaps an 66i issue? But wait, I have also a 66i and will ckeck it.

• Also working with my 66i.

• Very strange. As I wrote earlier, someone else experienced what I'm experiencing, but I can't find that post in the Forum today.  I'll retest my 66i, and will reply here if I get a different result.

• I found the older post I was referring to under Apps & Software, Explore iOS, "explore prefer device location".

I continue to get the same results as that person....the position arrow does not move if phone GPS is turned off.

If "Prefer Device Location" is selected on the Explore app, the BT symbol shows up. If not selected, there is no BT symbol, even though both devices are connected.

I will delete and reinstall app to see if that helps.